GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Musk, (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/28630-musk.html)

David Hill 24-05-2003 11:20 PM

Musk,

Mimulus moschatus was introduced from North America in the early years of
the 19th centaury, and was strongly scented of Musk, then in the early part
of the last centaury it suddenly lost its scent, and it has never come back.
I wonder if the same thing happened to M.moschatus in North America.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Rodger Whitlock 25-05-2003 06:44 PM

Musk,

On Sat, 24 May 2003 22:11:46 +0100, David Hill wrote:

Mimulus moschatus was introduced from North America in the early years of
the 19th centaury, and was strongly scented of Musk, then in the early part
of the last centaury it suddenly lost its scent, and it has never come back.
I wonder if the same thing happened to M.moschatus in North America.

It appears that the musk-scented form was a sport that does not
come true from seed. The most credible theory holds that when
nurserymen started growing it from seed instead of cuttings, it
"lost its scent". No one has ever found another such scented
plant in the wild, and there has been more searching for one than
you might think. Any Oregonians paying close attention?

My own plant is unscented, grown for sentiment's sake, a lineal
descendant of a scented plant. Hardly worth garden room -- I keep
it in a hanging basket in the shade.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Janet Baraclough 25-05-2003 11:56 PM

Musk,

The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

Mimulus moschatus was introduced from North America in the early years of
the 19th centaury, and was strongly scented of Musk, then in the early part
of the last centaury it suddenly lost its scent, and it has never come back.
I wonder if the same thing happened to M.moschatus in North America.

Maybe Gary or Rodger knows?
Do you remember a similar thread a year or more ago, about the
vanished scent of violets?
Strange.

Janet.

Nick Maclaren 26-05-2003 12:32 PM

Musk,

In article ,
Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from "David Hill" contains these
words:

Mimulus moschatus was introduced from North America in the early years of
the 19th centaury, and was strongly scented of Musk, then in the early part
of the last centaury it suddenly lost its scent, and it has never come back.
I wonder if the same thing happened to M.moschatus in North America.

Maybe Gary or Rodger knows?
Do you remember a similar thread a year or more ago, about the
vanished scent of violets?

The wild violets in my garden are scented. If there has been any loss,
it is probable because they are yet another wild plant that is being
bred into extinction in the pure form by hybridising with naturalised
scentless varieties.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Rodger Whitlock 26-05-2003 06:08 PM

Musk,

On Sun, 25 May 2003 00:45:07 +0100, Janet Baraclough wrote:

Do you remember a similar thread a year or more ago, about the
vanished scent of violets?

No question that the musk lost its scent, but violets are still
scented. If you grow the right kind, that is!