Old 27-05-2003, 06:44 AM
i_never_tan

Default grass clipping as mulch?

Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
prevent weeds. All I know, is I have a big patch of green. Would
this be harmful to my tomato plants? Last summer my tomatoes didn't
do too well. We had a terrible drought here in New England, and the
hot sun baked everything even though I watered. Thanks for any
advice. Nora
Old 27-05-2003, 06:56 AM
i_never_tan

Since I am new to this news group, and just read the rules, I would
like to introduce myself. I'm new to gardening. I have some day
lilies and lily of the valley I took from my mother's home when she
died and we sold the home, so I could have something of hers growing
in my yard. I have a small plot for six tomato plants. I know my
climate is different from the British Isles, but I was hoping the
knowledge about grass clippings would be universal. I'm 42 years old
and work for the state of Connecticut Is that enough info? Nora

Old 27-05-2003, 09:20 AM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
i_never_tan writes:
| Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
| My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
| plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
| you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
| prevent weeds. All I know, is I have a big patch of green. Would
| this be harmful to my tomato plants? Last summer my tomatoes didn't
| do too well. We had a terrible drought here in New England, and the
| hot sun baked everything even though I watered. Thanks for any
| advice.

It would almost certainly do better with you than with us, because
the clippings will dry out and insulate the ground. Here, in the
cold, wet summers we have had for a couple of years and look like
getting this year, they just rot into a slimy mess - and, anyway,
our problems are different :-(

It works even here in dry years, incidentally.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2003, 08:56 PM
Victoria Clare

i_never_tan wrote in
:

Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
prevent weeds.

Well, it works for me - though I haven't tried it on tomatoes! I use it as
a mulch on my rose bed.

The cuttings will turn yellow-brown quite quickly and start looking a lot
less conspicuous. I don't put on a thick layer at once, because as Nick
has said, if you do that here it tends to go goopy - but a couple of inches
is fine, and saves me walking to the compost heap with the last half-empty
holder-full of grass!

Victoria
Old 28-05-2003, 01:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from Victoria Clare contains these words:

i_never_tan wrote in
:

Hello, I hope you can advise me. I live in New England in the US.
My co-worker told me to put grass clippings around my cherry tomato
plants after I mow the lawn. I followed his advise, and let me tell
you it looks weird. He says the clippings will act as mulch and
prevent weeds.

Well, it works for me - though I haven't tried it on tomatoes! I use it as
a mulch on my rose bed.

The cuttings will turn yellow-brown quite quickly and start looking a lot
less conspicuous. I don't put on a thick layer at once, because as Nick
has said, if you do that here it tends to go goopy - but a couple of inches
is fine, and saves me walking to the compost heap with the last half-empty
holder-full of grass!

I use them successfully round plants and veg, including potatoes. The
more often you do it, the more worms you get, and the faster the mulch
disappears.

If your summer is hot and dry, make sure the earth is well soaked in
water before you mulch.

Janet

Old 28-05-2003, 01:44 AM
David Hill

I have done this with shrubs, about 3 inches at a time, great way to keep
the weeds down, and later as it is breaking down I found the birds had a
good go at it looking for worms

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 28-05-2003, 04:57 AM
i_never_tan

I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. Nora

Old 28-05-2003, 09:35 AM
Tim

wrote:

I have done this with shrubs, about 3 inches at a time, great way to
keep
the weeds down, and later as it is breaking down I found the birds had a
good go at it looking for worms

Freshly cut grass is a great slug attractant I find. Try and let it dry out
for at least a few hours first.
I use it all over the place -except where I need a really decorative bit.
Around shrubs and roses, the hedge, under currant and fruit bushes. Great
stuff. And, as David said, the animals that colonate it and break it down
are a great source of food for birds.
Tim.

Old 28-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Michael Berridge

i_never_tan wrote in message ...
I want to thank all of you for your quick responses. Nora

Just make sure that you haven't used any weed killer on your lawn. Usual
thing is to wait for three mowings before adding them to the compost bin
or using them as a mulch.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk