Old 27-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Jo

Default How to replant a nepenthes/pticher plant?

Hi,
I have a rather top-heavy nepenthes (pitcher plant) which I want to replant
into a hanging basket, so that the pitchers don't pull the existing pot over
anymore...

Do I need special soil? I read somewhere they need a lot of moss? Or can I
just use ericaceous compost (as I believe they like acid soil)? And are they
safe to handle whilst repotting?

(As you may have guessed, I've only had this plant for a few weeks...bit of
a newbie with carnivorous plants!)

I have had to make the hanging basket myself (as I couldnt find one anywhere
in the shops!) and as it will be indoors, I have chosen a self-watering pot
which is sealed, so no drips in the house, but I am concerned that it will
get too soggy...although it does have a bung in case of overfill!

All advice much appreciated, I am really enthusiatic about this lovely plant
and don't want to kill it!

Jo.

Old 27-05-2003, 12:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Jo" writes:
| Hi,
| I have a rather top-heavy nepenthes (pitcher plant) which I want to replant
| into a hanging basket, so that the pitchers don't pull the existing pot over
| anymore...
|
| Do I need special soil? I read somewhere they need a lot of moss? Or can I
| just use ericaceous compost (as I believe they like acid soil)? And are they
| safe to handle whilst repotting?
|
| (As you may have guessed, I've only had this plant for a few weeks...bit of
| a newbie with carnivorous plants!)
|
| I have had to make the hanging basket myself (as I couldnt find one anywhere
| in the shops!) and as it will be indoors, I have chosen a self-watering pot
| which is sealed, so no drips in the house, but I am concerned that it will
| get too soggy...although it does have a bung in case of overfill!
|
| All advice much appreciated, I am really enthusiatic about this lovely plant
| and don't want to kill it!

Well, I don't know much about them, but my guess is that they would
prefer 50/50 lawn moss and peat, and for it to be kept sodden! The
point is that I think they like similar conditions to our native
Pinguicula and Drosera, where that is what they are adapted to.
I suggest checking up with someone who knows more, but they are
quite extreme in their requirements.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-05-2003, 02:32 PM
Jo

Thanks for the reply, I take it I can buy this lawn moss/peat from any
garden centre?

Jo.

Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Andy

On Tue, 27 May 2003 11:49:28 +0100, "Jo" wrote:

Hi,
I have a rather top-heavy nepenthes (pitcher plant) which I want to replant
into a hanging basket, so that the pitchers don't pull the existing pot over
anymore...

Do I need special soil? I read somewhere they need a lot of moss? Or can I
just use ericaceous compost (as I believe they like acid soil)? And are they
safe to handle whilst repotting?

AFAIK they need compost with almost no nutrients or they'll die. :-{

They should also be watered with rainwater.

Also - according to a friend of mine who used to keep flytraps - you
mustn't feed them houseflies or the bacteria will kill them.

snip

All advice much appreciated, I am really enthusiatic about this lovely plant
and don't want to kill it!

Here's a page with a few potting mixtures:

http://www.sarracenia.com/faq/faq6010e.html

Take your pick!

Andy

Old 27-05-2003, 04:32 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Jo" writes:
| Thanks for the reply, I take it I can buy this lawn moss/peat from any
| garden centre?

Peat and moss, yes, expensively. But I really did mean moss picked
out of the lawn and chopped! I gave you a suitable mixture for
Pinguicula grandiflora (and P. vulgaris). I am no expert, but I
grow the former and observe the latter in the wild.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 27-05-2003, 06:08 PM
IntarsiaCo

Do I need special soil?

You need a loose, open soil that remain wet to moist but allows drainage of
excess water. Try one part of each of the following; long-fibered sphagnum,
peat moss, perlite, pumice, lava rock, vermiculite, fine orchid bark, and
charcoal. Or try one part peat or long-fibered sphagnum, one part fine orchid
bark, one part perlite, one part vermiculite. One part sphagnum to two parts
osmunda fiber is acceptable. The same mixes may be used for many terresterial
orchids.

nepenthes Attenboroughii ( Rat-eating plant) csd Plant Science 0 12-06-2011 02:30 AM
Nepenthes Question Shell Gardening 2 13-11-2004 02:13 AM
know about nepenthes?? Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 3 12-03-2004 12:12 AM
nepenthes ampullaria Oxymel of Squill United Kingdom 1 19-11-2003 12:43 AM