Old 27-05-2003, 11:56 PM
Serenity

Default Bridge

I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Old 28-05-2003, 08:45 AM
Mike

In article , Serenity serenity@nospam
serenitynyespam.off.fslife.co.uk writes
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Is that 8? or do you really mean 18? If so that is one hell of a span,
especially if you mean it to take vehicles as well, no I know you didn't
mention that, but 'functional' for what?

Mike
who wants a bridge to span 5 miles;-}
Forthcoming reunions. H.M.S.Collingwood Association Chatham May 30th - June 2nd
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 28-05-2003, 01:44 PM
Serenity

serenitynyespam.off.fslife.co.uk writes
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.

Is that 8? or do you really mean 18?

Yep an enormous span - 16ft sleepers won't cover it :-(
It is just to take people. No vehicles.

Old 28-05-2003, 02:08 PM
Mike

In article , Serenity serenity@nospa
mserenitynyespam.off.fslife.co.uk writes

serenitynyespam.off.fslife.co.uk writes
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.

Is that 8? or do you really mean 18?

Yep an enormous span - 16ft sleepers won't cover it :-(
It is just to take people. No vehicles.

If you make it too wide, then at some time in the future, someone is
going to try to take a vehicle over it :-((

If you make it too narrow to prevent the above, then you must take into
account that at some time or other, it could be full of people and the
bending moment at the middle will be enormous, so it must be thick
enough to take in the stress and strain of its thickness material :-((

From the centre, will it be possible to take some support struts down at
an angle into the banks on either side?

Very difficult to judge just what would be suitable without a visit and
knowing what, how, why and wherefore :-((

Brick Arch from the bottom with a keystone?????

Mike

Old 29-05-2003, 05:24 AM
Chris Norton

On Tue, 27 May 2003 23:50:47 +0100, "Serenity"
serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote:

I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Try Cowleys of Lincoln.

18ft is in the realm of timber engineering.

Old 29-05-2003, 07:32 AM
JennyC

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Nice (American) plans for a wooden bridge at
http://pacifi.ca/2060.html
maybe you could get a local carpenter to build on for you - or maybe
you are a DIY dab hand

Or maybe you could use concrete :
http://www.auburn.edu/~roberrb/creteslingers/ped.html

Jenny

Old 29-05-2003, 01:32 PM
Drakanthus

I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Sounds like a job for Simon & Garfunkel ;-)

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 29-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Mike

In article ,
Drakanthus writes
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

Sounds like a job for Simon & Garfunkel ;-)

Where does the poster indicate that the water in the dyke is troubled?

Mike

Old 03-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Simon Avery

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote:

Hello Serenity

S I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
S It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.
S Does anyone have a favoured supplier.

I don't think there's a "Bridges R Us" type chain. Your best bet is to
open the yellow pages and find a local engineering works who'll be
able to knock up something to suit your needs. You'll probably also
need a builder on site to erect/install it, but that's something you
can sort out with your engineer.

Old 04-06-2003, 02:20 PM
Simon Avery

Janet Baraclough wrote:

Hello Janet

S I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
S It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is
S fine. Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
I don't think there's a "Bridges R Us" type chain. Your
best bet is to open the yellow pages and find a local
engineering works who'll be able to knock up something to
suit your needs. You'll probably also need a builder on
site to erect/install it, but that's something you can
sort out with your engineer.

JB Probably the cheapest way to do it, it with 2 ex-telephone
JB poles as the spans, fixed to vertical stobs driven into the
JB banks, and planks nailed across the poles as the surface.
JB Farmers often have a stash of the poles.

Possibly, it's a shame the OP didn't give more details. I can't think
of many private gardens with 18' dykes in them, so it could be a
public garden or place where the public has access, in which case a
home-made bridge might not be good enough. (From the insurance POV,
certainly)

Plus, the thing about telegraph poles is that they're usually removed
because they've failed a safety inspection ('D' classified) which
means they're unsafe to be climbed. I wouldn't personally trust them
on such a long unsupported span for more than 1 or 2 people (think how
many people you can get on a bridge!) for more than 5 years or so.

Old 13-06-2003, 05:32 PM
dave johnson

Think suspension! Rope is cheap.
"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
I need to get a bridge to span an 18ft dyke.
It doesn't have to be too ornamental, functional is fine.

Does anyone have a favoured supplier.
Thank you,

The Bridge to NoWhere (Bridge over the creek) BillyBoy Ponds (alternative) 0 01-02-2004 07:36 AM
Walking bridge Sam Hopkins Ponds 22 21-07-2003 05:42 PM
Walking bridge Sam Hopkins Ponds 0 16-07-2003 06:12 PM
decorative Bridge question Larry D. Gibbs Ponds 4 08-07-2003 06:11 PM
How do I construct a land bridge? Ted Ponds 0 17-03-2003 07:08 PM