GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   White powder on apple seedlings... (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/29348-white-powder-apple-seedlings.html)

Marcus Fox 28-05-2003 12:32 AM

White powder on apple seedlings...

My mother's friend's son has grown some apple seedlings from pips. They are
indoors, about 4 inches high. However the leaves have become covered with
some kind of white powder, looks like a light dusting of flour. I assume
this is some kind of bug. What is it, and how do I treat it?

Marcus

Rusty Hinge 19-07-2003 11:43 AM

White powder on apple seedlings...

The message
from "Marcus Fox"
contains these words:

My mother's friend's son has grown some apple seedlings from pips. They are
indoors, about 4 inches high. However the leaves have become covered with
some kind of white powder, looks like a light dusting of flour. I assume
this is some kind of bug. What is it, and how do I treat it?

Try looking with a strong magnifying glass. I think you'll find that
there are tiny aphid-like insects there.

Wash the blighters off with slightly soapy water and as soon as it
reappears, repeat the treatment. You can use a systemic insecticide as
you won't be expecting apples for a year or - ten.

--
Rusty http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/hi-fi/tqt.htm
horrid·squeak snailything zetnet·co·uk excange d.p. with p to reply.