Old 29-05-2003, 06:24 AM
Mary Fisher

Default Advice on medlar please

Last year I bought a very small medlar which was grafted on thorn.

I've kept rubbing out the growth beneath the graft and watching it
carefully.

Now it's a foot or more high and has just finished flowering (Yorkshire).

The little fruit are visible but Spouse says he's heard that we shouldn't
allow it to fruit this year.

Can anyone advise - from experience only please.

Mary

Old 29-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Mary Fisher
writes

Last year I bought a very small medlar which was grafted on thorn.

Glad you said that! In a garden full of hawthorn seedlings I was getting
quite a clump just below my medlar, and had come to the conclusion it
must have been grafted on to thorn.

I've kept rubbing out the growth beneath the graft and watching it
carefully.

Now it's a foot or more high and has just finished flowering (Yorkshire).

Earlier than ours! (Yorks - but 200 ft higher than Mary?) - ours is in
full bloom!

The little fruit are visible but Spouse says he's heard that we shouldn't
allow it to fruit this year.

On such a small tree, you will only get a few fruit. Since they're
nicest made into jelly, you won't get a lot of jelly from just a few
fruit.

Can anyone advise - from experience only please.

Sorry - mine was a lot bigger when I got it - IIRC a whip, but 6ft high.
I certainly wouldn't have removed any fruit. I am not by nature a
patient person! (In other words, don't follow my example!)

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Advice on pruning young apple, pear and medlar trees for a newcomer MaxDread United Kingdom 4 16-03-2017 10:37 AM
Medlar an unusual fruit David Hare-Scott[_2_] Edible Gardening 9 14-06-2012 12:33 PM
Medlar! mogga United Kingdom 6 30-11-2010 02:54 PM
my first medlar crop Ann Garden Photos 0 10-11-2006 01:20 AM
pruning medlar Derek Turner United Kingdom 1 12-08-2004 04:10 PM