Old 30-05-2003, 04:11 PM
Adrian Jones

Default North Wales Wildflower

I went to North Wales yesterday and saw a lovely pink wildflower growing
near the sea. It was tall, bright pink, a bit like a verbena bonariensis,
but pinker and not as flat, the leaves are quite thick and fleshy. Can
anyone tell me the name of this plant? Thanks

Old 30-05-2003, 07:20 PM
Rod

"Adrian Jones" wrote in message ...
I went to North Wales yesterday and saw a lovely pink wildflower growing
near the sea. It was tall, bright pink, a bit like a verbena bonariensis,
but pinker and not as flat, the leaves are quite thick and fleshy. Can
anyone tell me the name of this plant? Thanks

Red Valerian - Centranthus ruber naturalised on all the walls etc around N. Wales and Anglesey coast.

http://www.floracam.co.uk/wildflowers/flowers/33.html

Not a great photo but it should confirm it for you.

Rod

Old 30-05-2003, 08:34 PM
Adrian Jones

Yes, that's it! Thanks, Rod. I'm pleased to see that it produces flowers
throughout the summer as it's such a nice plant and it contrasts well with a
purple lavender.

Thanks again.

Old 30-05-2003, 11:44 PM
David Hill

".....it produces flowers throughout the summer ......"

And seeds all over the place, small wind spread seed that gets everywhere

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 31-05-2003, 12:10 AM
Sue

"Adrian Jones" wrote
Yes, that's it! Thanks, Rod. I'm pleased to see that it produces
flowers throughout the summer as it's such a nice plant and it contrasts

well
with a purple lavender.

You can get a white variety too, which would also look good with lavender.

--
Sue

Old 31-05-2003, 09:32 AM
Helen

I bought a pack of mixed perennial seeds last year and so wasn't sure
what I would get. One of the plants is a centranthrus. Before it
flowered I was hoping for a red one, but it turned out to be white.
Its saving grace is its subtle perfume. Very nice.

By the way, these plants seed all over the place (wind blown) - so if
you get one you will end up with loads, but that isn't a problem is
it?
Old 31-05-2003, 11:32 AM
Rod

"Sue" wrote in message ...

"Adrian Jones" wrote
Yes, that's it! Thanks, Rod. I'm pleased to see that it produces
flowers throughout the summer as it's such a nice plant and it contrasts

well
with a purple lavender.

You can get a white variety too, which would also look good with lavender.

Seeds should produce the range of colours, mostly various shades of red/pink but a smattering of whites and occasionally
a good strong crimson.

Rod

Old 31-05-2003, 10:32 PM
Johanna

In article ,
says...

"Adrian Jones" wrote in message ...
I went to North Wales yesterday and saw a lovely pink wildflower growing
near the sea. It was tall, bright pink, a bit like a verbena bonariensis,
but pinker and not as flat, the leaves are quite thick and fleshy. Can
anyone tell me the name of this plant? Thanks

Red Valerian - Centranthus ruber naturalised on all the walls etc around N. Wales and Anglesey coast.

http://www.floracam.co.uk/wildflowers/flowers/33.html

Not a great photo but it should confirm it for you.

Rod

I got so used to seeing red and white Valerian when growing up on
Anglesey that it didn't occur to me that it wasn't so common in other
areas such as my current home in Leicester. It wasn't until we passed
some in Cornwall last week that I realised I'd not seen it elsewhere.

Johanna