GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   white "powder" on acanthus (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30063-white-powder-acanthus.html)

chaz 01-06-2003 04:56 PM

white "powder" on acanthus

my acanthus's are covered in a white "powder" (some sort of mildew?) this
also seems to affect the forget me nots nearby. I haven't managed to find
out what it is or how, if it is possible, to treat it as it makes the leaves
look ugly!

any suggestions?

chaz

Sacha 01-06-2003 05:44 PM

white "powder" on acanthus

in article , chaz at
wrote on 1/6/03 4:52 pm:

my acanthus's are covered in a white "powder" (some sort of mildew?) this
also seems to affect the forget me nots nearby. I haven't managed to find
out what it is or how, if it is possible, to treat it as it makes the leaves
look ugly!

Acanthus are famous for getting mildew though I've never had quite so much
trouble forget me nots, myself. Any fungicide, such as you'd use on roses,
for example, should help you.

--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

Kay Easton 01-06-2003 06:56 PM

white "powder" on acanthus

In article , Sacha
writes
in article , chaz at
wrote on 1/6/03 4:52 pm:

my acanthus's are covered in a white "powder" (some sort of mildew?) this
also seems to affect the forget me nots nearby. I haven't managed to find
out what it is or how, if it is possible, to treat it as it makes the leaves
look ugly!

Acanthus are famous for getting mildew though I've never had quite so much
trouble forget me nots, myself. Any fungicide, such as you'd use on roses,
for example, should help you.

Forgetmenots get mildew, especially later in the season when they're
coming to the end of their flowering season. Usually if you take off the
flowering stems the new shoots below are free of mildew.

Making sure the ground is moist enough, keeping everything well watered,
might get rid of the mildew without needing a fungicide.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Malcolm 01-06-2003 09:20 PM

white "powder" on acanthus

On Sun, 01 Jun 2003 15:52:03 GMT, "chaz"
wrote:

my acanthus's are covered in a white "powder" (some sort of mildew?) this
also seems to affect the forget me nots nearby. I haven't managed to find
out what it is or how, if it is possible, to treat it as it makes the leaves
look ugly!

any suggestions?

chaz

Do you live anywhere near Stephen Poley? he is the local crackhead and
may well be dealing in your area.
--

So, you dont like reasoned,
well thought out, civil debate?

I understand.

/´¯/)
/¯../
/..../
/´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
/'/.../..../......./¨¯\
('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
\.................'...../
''...\.......... _.·´
\..............(
\.............\..

chaz 01-06-2003 11:44 PM

white "powder" on acanthus

Making sure the ground is moist enough, keeping everything well watered,
might get rid of the mildew without needing a fungicide.
--
Kay Easton

Ah! that explains it! I have very free draining soil which dries to a dust
if I'm not careful, so with the dry weather we've been having no wonder its
bad this year!

will spraying and watering restore the leaves to their shiny state?

chaz