Old 01-06-2003, 10:48 PM
42_Mike

Default I just want some grass ...

I have a large area at the back of my garden which is my land. The house I
live in did belong to my Grandma who use this plot in the war for growing
vegetables on and to keep chickens on. The plot was divided into four
sections with a grass path between them.

I bought the house and land in Jan 2000, the house needed a lot of updating
which I have been doing over the past three years, the plot is now looking
like a over grown jungle.

I would like to simply remove all the old plants, and so called grass, and
lay new grass so I can simply run a lawnmower over it.

Now I know the best way is to get a BobCat or small JCB in and remove the
top inc plants, but the only access is via a small gate, and im sorry, but I
don't fancy removing the old stuff by hand!

Is there a type of weed killer that I can pour over the plot, then I can
remove the dead plants and old grass, I can then get someone in with a
rotavator and level the land ready for the new grass.

Or am I living in cloud cuckoo land?

Old 02-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Simon Avery

"42_Mike" wrote:

Hello 42_Mike

M I would like to simply remove all the old plants, and so
M called grass, and lay new grass so I can simply run a
M lawnmower over it.
M Now I know the best way is to get a BobCat or small JCB in
M and remove the top inc plants, but the only access is via a
M small gate, and im sorry, but I don't fancy removing the old
M stuff by hand!

Where you gonna put the stuff? If not local, you've also got to figure
in some quite expensive landfill charges and a skip.

As for access, if there's a fence - remove it.

If not, then some hire companies (ie, Jewson Hirepoint) have lorries
with HIABs on, which might be agreeable to have a 1-tonne minidigger
or bobcat delivered and lifted over a wall, provided you can get the
lorry alongside it.

Also worth thinking about are narrow minidiggers. These can be made to
fit through a normal house door (24"? 28"?) so if you can find one of
them you're in.

M Is there a type of weed killer that I can pour over the
M plot, then I can remove the dead plants and old grass, I can
M then get someone in with a rotavator and level the land
M ready for the new grass.

If time is not a major issue, try covering the garden with black
polythene for six months or a year. Looks horrid, but works and won't
get you in trouble with the EA for poisoning water courses.

Old 02-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Lee

We had an allotment in a similar state and we strimmed the lot, burnt it all
then sprayed the place with a (forget the name) good root killing stuff.
Took a good 4 weekends (big plot) But we were able to start afresh the
following spring (done in the autumn)

My uncle suggested covering it with concrete and painting it green.......
thanks Bill..........

Good luck

Lee

Old 02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Victoria Clare

"42_Mike" wrote in
:

Now I know the best way is to get a BobCat or small JCB in and remove
the top inc plants, but the only access is via a small gate, and im
sorry, but I don't fancy removing the old stuff by hand!

If it's a mature garden gone to seed, even if you did kill everything off,
you are still going to have a major task removing all the dead stuff before
you can install your new lawn. Woody plants don't just vanish when they
die: they can hang around for years.

If it is just overgrown grass and annual weeds, I'd suggest rather than
weedkill it, you strim it down then run a mower over it. Mow it a couple
more times, and it will soon start looking more like a lawn than a jungle,
and if the turf is not up to your standards, you can then rotovate it.

I have done this myself to an old horrible overgrown vegetable patch, and
it really does look like a real lawn now (one year on).

But if you've got shrubs, big brambles and trees in there, they will be
just as horrible to get rid of dead as alive, and if you reduce them to
ground level, they will not survive regular mowing anyway.

If you really can't get a digger in, you are going to have to do a certain
amount of manual removal.

Only when you've beaten the jungle down is it a matter of deciding whether
you want to remove roots manually, dose with weedkiller, just keep mowing
the damn things, or cover everything in black plastic to stop them coming
back.

But if you were planning to get someone in for the 'rotovate' bit anyway,
it may be worth getting a quote for the whole job. 'Garden clearance' is a
service offered by several people round here.

Victoria
Old 02-06-2003, 05:44 PM
welshuser

"42_Mike" wrote in message
[...]

I used weedol on my overgrown patch, good stuff, but be prepared to wait a
fortnight for the weeds to die. A second application on thorns and nettles
may be required. It renders harmless on contact with the soil and kills the
weeds to the roots. I just waited another week after all had died and then
dug over the garden (dead weeds incuded) and used a rotovator to make it
nice and crumbly prior to putting vegetables in. They're all doing well at
the moment, with no signs of the weedkiller affecting them. Well
recommended!!

Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
welshuser

"welshuser" wrote in message

"42_Mike" wrote in message
[...]

ROUNDUP I used, not WEEDOL...sorry mate. have a look at Roundup, good
stuff..

Old 02-06-2003, 10:14 PM
Rod

"42_Mike" wrote in message ...
[...]

No but you might be wanting to do more work than you need to.

Try and find somebody with a really serious flail mower. Some are tractor mounted on various sizes of tractor from tiny
to huge. Others are walk behind machines about 4ft wide. They won't fell trees but they'll shred everything else and
will cut almost into the soil. After a couple of mowings with that you'll be able to use a decent domestic rotary
mower. You'll get a grass sward quicker and better than you might imagine.

Rod

Old 04-06-2003, 01:08 AM
LizR

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 21:35:02 +0100, "42_Mike" wrote:

[...]

Hiya,

I'm a bit of a beginner too, but there is one small piece of advice I have that may
help:

1) if there are dandelions nuke them with glyphosate (glysophate?!) several times
before you even think about hiring a rotovator or a JCB. Every time you split a
dandelion root you get 2 dandelions for the price one.

Liz
Old 04-06-2003, 04:44 AM
42_Mike

Many, Many thanks for all your help,
I'm going to look for a minidigger, I can get it down the drive, and should
be able to get it through the gate, if not, I will remove the gate!

Once again, thanks
42_Mike

PS
Anyone in the Grimsby area fancy a garden clearing job one weekend?
Coffee or Beer included!

I just want to say sljlt Gardening 2 10-03-2008 11:26 PM
do not want to loose a soil but want to grow vegetables on the slope. Mark Gardening 3 02-06-2006 03:04 AM
do not want to loose a soil but want to grow vegetables on the slope. Mark Gardening 0 01-06-2006 08:04 PM
do not want to loose a soil but want to grow vegetables on the slope. Mark Gardening 0 01-06-2006 08:04 PM
I need some suggestions. I went a little crazing with some Crocosmia 'Lucifer' and some daylillies and I need to get them undeer control! Marc Gardening 4 31-05-2005 04:17 PM