GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   herbs in winter (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30172-herbs-winter.html)

miklol 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

herbs in winter

I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?

Nick Maclaren 02-06-2003 09:59 AM

herbs in winter

In article ,
"miklol" writes:
| I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
| shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
| winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?

Dill, not at all in anywhere that gets a frost - it is an annual.

Parsley dies back in a frost, and will regrow and seed the next
year - in a mild winter, it remains usable. It is a biennial,
and needs resowing every year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Colin Davidson 02-06-2003 11:20 AM

herbs in winter

"miklol" wrote in message
I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?

I've found that a combination of freezing some herbs and bringing others
indoors works best.

Kay Easton 03-06-2003 10:32 AM

herbs in winter

In article , miklol
writes
I have a selection of herbs in pots and am thinking of putting them in my
shingle beds, but only if they will be permanent. How do dill and parsley
winter, and will they need any control ie trimming back?

parsley is a biennial - will flower and become unuseable in its second
year. It's not a mediterranean plant - it likes moister conditions, so
it won't be happy in your shingle bed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: