Old 02-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Jez Phillips

Default pond, mosquitoes & DDT - potential neighbour dispute

Hi

Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of similar
situation.

I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the pond
attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I think
they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.

They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

Here's the state of the pond:
* No pump
* Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep leaves out, so water
not a stagnant soup
* Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few ramshorn snails, other
critters
* No sighting of mosquito larvae

Our gardens back onto a little nature reserve which has a pond about 15 sq
feet. Again, this is full of tadpoles, clean looking, no mosquito larvae
attached to the surface.

It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over mosquitoes breeding
in the pond because I can't see the larvae in the water. Is that correct?

Is there anything I can do to stop them congregating at dusk. Place a
mosquito net over the pond?

When the mosquiroes fly close to the surfaceof the pond, are they drinking
water from the pond?

Are there any targetted sprays, organic products etc that will deal with
this. There'll be no point havin a pond if DDT goes in there.

Any research or studies that have gone into this kind of thing that show
applying DDT is a silly thing to do?

Thanks v much

Jez Phillips

Old 02-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Cupra

"Jez Phillips" wrote in message =
snip

AFAIK DDT is banned in the UK??=20

Is there any possibility there is another source for the Mozzies? As you =
say, it may not be your pond that's supplying them but another source =
nearby.....
Old 02-06-2003, 12:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
"Jez Phillips" writes:

| Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of similar
| situation.

Yes, I have known people like that. It is they who are the problem.

| I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the pond
| attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I think
| they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.

Unlikely. Suggest that they fumigate their house against fleas
and bedbugs :-) Seriously, do they have a pet? There are also
lots of flying insects that are more likely to cause a reaction
than mosquitoes.

| They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

That figures.

| It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over mosquitoes breeding
| in the pond because I can't see the larvae in the water. Is that correct?

No. There would be little point in action even if you could see them.

| Is there anything I can do to stop them congregating at dusk. Place a
| mosquito net over the pond?
|
| When the mosquiroes fly close to the surfaceof the pond, are they drinking
| water from the pond?

They are unlikely to be mosquitoes, though they could be. Most
insects that flock above ponds don't bite; most of those that do
aren't mosquitoes.

| Are there any targetted sprays, organic products etc that will deal with
| this. There'll be no point havin a pond if DDT goes in there.

Effectively, no. You can kill mosquito larvae FAIRLY harmlessly
by dropping some edible oil on the water, but it does reduce the
oxygenation of the water.

| Any research or studies that have gone into this kind of thing that show
| applying DDT is a silly thing to do?

Thousands. Using DDT has been illegal in the UK for many decades.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 02-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Essjay001

Jez Phillips wrote:
Hi

Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of
similar situation.

snip

Pond or no pond there are always mozzies they will breed in the water in a
plant pot tray.
You can't live your life for other people.

Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Cupra

"Jez Phillips" wrote in message =
| Hi
|=20
| Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of =
similar
| situation.
|=20
| I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the =
pond
| attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I =
think
| they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.
|=20
| They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.
|=20
| Here's the state of the pond:
| * No pump
| * Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep leaves out, so =
water
| not a stagnant soup
| * Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few ramshorn snails, =
other
| critters
| * No sighting of mosquito larvae
|=20
| Our gardenssnip

Just had a look at a site that states that mozzies have a flying range =
of 300yds from 'home', and can breed in as little as a teaspoon of =
water!=20

I suggest the neighbours hunt around in a 300 yard radius for all =
sources of stagnant water (it'd be ironic if the source was in their =
garden!)

see:

http://tinyurl.com/d9eo

It also suggests a way of dealing with them (ecologically sound)...

Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"Jez Phillips" wrote in message
Hi

Grateful for advice or to hear from anyone who has experience of similar
situation.

I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that at dusk the

pond
attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to their house and bite them. I

think
they have suffered allergic reations to the bites.

snip

I have a certain sympathy with your neighbours in that I suffer from an
alergic reaction to mosquito bites and I know it is the mozzies doing it
from various bits of evidence - including the vivd red splash on the wall
when they have been caught after the fact. :-(.
Have caught them in mid-bite (or second munch) and seen the site of the bite
swell up immediately with an alergic reaction.

Having said that, they are way out of order if they try to load the blame on
you.

As has been pointed out elsewhere mozzies breed in any piece of water,
however small.
If you can't see them wiggling in your pond, then the pond is probably
clear.
Probably the least likely place for mozzies as it is full of predators.

One likely candidate is water butts - I know we get larvae in ours.
Rainwater guttering with the wrong slope can also form little stagnant pools
in the summer.

Have they approached all properties surrounding theirs (not sure of the
maximum range of a mozzie but it is probably more than one garden's width)
and asked the entire neighbourhood to spray all their gardens with DDT (not
just ponds but any corner likely to have as much as a teacup of stagnant
water)?

If so, I would like to see them take it further - the publicity alone should
be well worth watching.
Suggesting this could also be a useful ploy to divert and dilute attention.

If they are just picking on you because they have seen your pond then they
should research more and understand the breeding cycle of mosquitoes.

They should also take steps to protect themselves e.g. by wearing insect
repellant and suitable clothing, and using insect screens in the house to
keep mozzies out, before bothering their neighbours.

Leave your pond alone - it is a haven to wildlife and a much needed
resource.

If they are keen on using illegal and dangerous insecticides then let them
spray inside their own house.

I suspect that they may be harking back to the major push years ago in
Sicily (I think) to eradicate Malaria by spraying all open water on the
island with DDT to kill off all the mozzies. AFAIR it worked but the
collateral damage must have been huge.

Would I be right in assuming that these people are somewhat elderly?

If tact and diplomacy fails completely, then invite them to sue - they
should have no chance whatsoever of getting a decision in their favour.
Don't be bullied by the ignorant.
Even if you complied with their wishes you would have to spray on an ongoing
regular basis as otherwise the pond would be open to recolonisation from
other areas of water.

To the barricades!!
Dave R

Old 02-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Thomas Prufer

On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 10:30:36 +0100, "Jez Phillips"
wrote:

It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over mosquitoes breeding
in the pond because I can't see the larvae in the water. Is that correct?

I'd think so.

Goldfish etc. take care of the larvae effectively, and some insect do
so as well.

Rather than spraying DDT, which is banned in most/all of the world
AFAIK and pretty unavailable, you could consider floating "BT" rings
sold for the purpose, at least in the US. Information is available
online -- these are thingummies that contain "bacillus thuringiensis"
toxins that are supposedly harmful to mosquito larvae, but not to
other pond life.

Or download the directions for such a ring, give them to your
neighbor, and toss a styrofoam ring into the water. Maybe add a
goldfish if you want to look at one. Likely just as effective...

Thomas Prufer
Old 02-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Ophelia

"David W.E. Roberts" wrote in message

Have they approached all properties surrounding theirs (not sure of the
maximum range of a mozzie but it is probably more than one garden's width)
and asked the entire neighbourhood to spray all their gardens with DDT

(not
just ponds but any corner likely to have as much as a teacup of stagnant
water)?

Hmm well you ought to try the Scottish midgies. We have no water near us
and yet they congregate around our tree and eat my better half to bits. I
am not sure I undertand why not me because I have been a target all my life,
AND I am allergic to their bites. Maybe I have become pickled with all that
delicious G&T

Years ago I lived in Malta and when I was pregnant the (real) mozzies ate me
to bits. So the point of all this is, that I believe water attracts mozzies
but certainly not exclusively!

Ophelia
In the land of the monster midgy

Old 02-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"Cupra" wrote in message |

Just had a look at a site that states that mozzies have a flying range of
300yds from 'home', and can breed in as little as a teaspoon of water!

I suggest the neighbours hunt around in a 300 yard radius for all sources of
stagnant water (it'd be ironic if the source was in their garden!)

Quite!

We have a large pond but I have never seen a mozzy lavae in it, because we
keep fish. Seen lots in our rain barrels though, and lots in a neighbours
garden because he's untidy and leaves water holding things, like buckets,
plant troughs, trays, about so they fill with rain water. Perhaps they too
have similar in their garden.

Now you presumable want to keep your wildlife pond and would not wish to
introduce one of the larger species of fish so may I suggest Sticklebacks to
take care of any larvae there may be.
Finally, I too suffer badly from some insect bites and therefore wear a good
insect repellent containing DEET, perhaps you could suggest they do to.

Their mention of DDT says a lot for their age and their ignorance. :-)

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Old 02-06-2003, 11:20 PM
Simon Avery

"Jez Phillips" wrote:

Hello Jez

JP I have a pond in my garden. My neighbour is concerned that
JP at dusk the pond attracts mosquitoes, which then go off to
JP their house and bite them. I think they have suffered
JP allergic reations to the bites.

JP They have suggested spraying DDT to kill the mosquitoes.

Not only unavailable for 20+ years, it'll kill all your wildlife in
and around your pond.

JP Here's the state of the pond:
JP * No pump
JP * Full of oxygenating plants & netted in winter to keep
JP leaves out, so water not a stagnant soup
JP * Full of tadpoles, pond skaters, damselflies, a few
JP ramshorn snails, other critters
JP * No sighting of mosquito larvae

Any fish? Fish love mozzie larvae, but they're pretty obvious things
so if you aren't seeing them then they're unlikely to be there.

JP It seems to me that there is no action to be taken over
JP mosquitoes breeding in the pond because I can't see the
JP larvae in the water. Is that correct?

Sounds right to me.

JP Is there anything I can do to stop them congregating at
JP dusk. Place a mosquito net over the pond?

Naw. They sit or swarm in cool shady spots during the day, which could
be anywhere.

JP When the mosquiroes fly close to the surfaceof the pond, are
JP they drinking water from the pond?

They'll settle on the surface to lay eggs, but that's about it.

JP Are there any targetted sprays, organic products etc that
JP will deal with this. There'll be no point havin a pond if
JP DDT goes in there.

Nothing that's effective, and anyway, you don't have larvae in your
pond, right?

JP Any research or studies that have gone into this kind of
JP thing that show applying DDT is a silly thing to do?

Plenty. Google's your friend.

What I have got to ask is WHY are you going to all this trouble?
Mozzies will exist anywhere - point out to your neighbour that he
probably has more larvae in his guttering than you have in your pond.
You are under NO obligation to do anything about them - if someone has
an allergic reaction to mozzie bites then WHY THE HELL ARE THEY
OUTSIDE AT NIGHT?

Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 AM
A.Malhotra

Sue & Bob Hobden wrote:

Now you presumable want to keep your wildlife pond and would not wish to
introduce one of the larger species of fish so may I suggest Sticklebacks to
take care of any larvae there may be.
Finally, I too suffer badly from some insect bites and therefore wear a good
insect repellent containing DEET, perhaps you could suggest they do to.

Unfortunately sticklebacks can be just as destructive to wildlife as larger
fish. They'll certainly take out newt tadpoles.
Anita
Old 04-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Michael Berridge

martin wrote in message

You can kill mosquito larvae by pouring a few drops of olive oil onto
the surface of the pond. The oil blocks the larvae's snorkels.

probably the most ecologically sound method if you don't have fish. I
always have some of those allergy tablets like Clarityn or Pirotin, and
take them for a few days after being exposed to insect bites, Certainly
stops them itching and they don't develop into huge swellings.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 04-06-2003, 12:44 AM
Sue & Bob Hobden

Anita wrote in message
after Bob wrote:

Now you presumable want to keep your wildlife pond and would not wish to
introduce one of the larger species of fish so may I suggest

Sticklebacks to
take care of any larvae there may be.
Finally, I too suffer badly from some insect bites and therefore wear a

good
insect repellent containing DEET, perhaps you could suggest they do to.

Unfortunately sticklebacks can be just as destructive to wildlife as

larger
fish. They'll certainly take out newt tadpoles.

True they will eat tadpoles and other creatures, that's nature which is what
a wildlife pond is all about, but they would only take a few a day unlike,
say, a full grown Koi that would simply hoover them and everything else up,
plants and all.
--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.

Article on weight gain and exposure too DDT prenatal relates to obesity Bill who putters Edible Gardening 1 10-10-2010 08:30 AM
DDT or NO DDT? Glenna Rose Edible Gardening 4 21-03-2006 12:20 AM
DDT or NO DDT? James Edible Gardening 11 15-03-2006 06:29 PM
Man Shot Dead over hedge dispute ! Hep-Liver United Kingdom 19 18-06-2003 11:20 AM
Klamath River dispute rages despite salmon deaths Psalm 110 alt.forestry 0 09-12-2002 09:33 PM