Old 03-06-2003, 10:20 AM
Derek Carver

Default ?Non-'flowering' cornus this year

We have become very keen on growing Cornus Kousa (I hope I've spelt that
correctly). The flowering bracts last for weeks - far longer than normal
blossom trees - and they are totally spectacular. We grow the basic variety
and also the pink variant called, I believe, Satoma (or something similar)

We have also had for many years the pink Cornus florida rubra. Over the years
we have grown used to this totally failing to 'flower' but the others have
never let us down.

Not until this year, that is. This year the dreadfully 'iffy'florida rubra has
been covered with pink bracts for several weeks, but as for the many other
kousa varieties they've hardly a dozen bracts between the lot of them.

We are in Surrey.

Has anybody else had the same experience?

Derek Carve