GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Questions for chilli experts (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30331-questions-chilli-experts.html)

Pam Moore 03-06-2003 03:08 PM

Questions for chilli experts

I have grown a few chilli plants from the seed from one bought in a
supermarket.
Questions: Are they self pollinating?
Will a single plant produce chillis unaided? I want to give a couple
of plants to friends.
Are they OK outdoors now?
TIA

Pam in Bristol

NC 03-06-2003 03:56 PM

Questions for chilli experts

Hi,
I've grown a few from seed in the last few months.
I was originally advised to polinate them by hand using a small paint brush.
However,before I got a chance they started to produce fruit! So, whilst
doing it manually wont hurt, I didn't have to ! Its amazong though, as I
dont remeber having any bees etc knocking about in the past few weeks...!
Not sure about a single plant - I have 2 in quite close proximity - although
not touching. I would always give them away in twos anyway, otherwsie
they'll get lonely !
Mine are on the windowsill at the mo and are coming along a treat. Not tried
putting them outside and wouldn't even think about it with this country's
weather !

Capt. Tastic 04-06-2003 11:44 AM

Questions for chilli experts

putting them outside and wouldn't even think about it with this country's
weather !

Mine have been out side for about a week, and are doing great guns :)

Mind you, am down south where the weather is SUPPOSED to be a bit nicer!
pah!

Mark