Old 03-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Pickle

Default Drying rose petals

Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?
I've got some lovely scented roses and don't want the petals to go to waste.
I tried putting some in the oven on a low heat but they went a bit brown and
the smell seems less strong.

Old 03-06-2003, 06:08 PM
Ophelia

"Pickle" wrote in message
Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?
I've got some lovely scented roses and don't want the petals to go to

waste.
I tried putting some in the oven on a low heat but they went a bit brown

and
the smell seems less strong.

I have a dehydrator and it works fine. Perhaps you had your oven too high.
For dehydrating try the oven but on the lowest heat with the door slightly
propped open. I suspect you are drying them too quickly

Ophelia

Old 03-06-2003, 10:56 PM
Derek Carver

Has anyone tried drying rose petals for pot-pourri, if so, what method
worked for you?

I know nothing about drying rose petals but we dry mushrooms. Here the
technique is to put them in the oven on a low heat with the oven door held open
just a bit.

Derek Carver
Oxshott, Surrey
Old 04-06-2003, 06:56 PM
Jayne

Get a couple of those cardboard "trays" that you can pick up at the
supermarket (the ones that vegetables come in) - spead the petals in them,
stack one above the other & turn the petals occassionally & they should be
dried in no time. I don't recommend drying them in the oven. I have been
making pot pourri for years & this method works well. You could also spread
them on newspaper but the boxes take up less room.

Jayne

Brown petals and buds on Blushing Knockout Rose PATSY COSTNER North Carolina 1 02-06-2006 09:42 PM
Need Rose Petals Bippy North Carolina 3 12-09-2004 03:34 AM
clematis-tepal/petals Heidi Gardening 5 19-07-2003 04:32 PM
Drying rose petals Pickle United Kingdom 4 05-06-2003 09:20 AM
Rhododendron without petals Oryx United Kingdom 2 07-04-2003 10:20 PM