Old 03-06-2003, 09:32 PM
Mike

Default dry laid patio - question

I'm putting in a 100 sq. ft. dry laid patio of flagstones. I've priced the
sand I'll need (2 inch foundation, 1 inch fine sand bed) at c. $220 incl.
$50 to have it delivered by truck. My question is, do I absolutely need the
foundation and bedding sand? Can't I just dig a shallow bed c. 1 in deep,
level it, lay the stones, and then fill in the cracks with a single 50 lb
bag of sand? I don't care if weeds and grass grow in the cracks.

Mike

Old 03-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article , Mike wrote:
I'm putting in a 100 sq. ft. dry laid patio of flagstones. I've priced the
sand I'll need (2 inch foundation, 1 inch fine sand bed) at c. $220 incl.
$50 to have it delivered by truck. My question is, do I absolutely need the
foundation and bedding sand? Can't I just dig a shallow bed c. 1 in deep,
level it, lay the stones, and then fill in the cracks with a single 50 lb
bag of sand? I don't care if weeds and grass grow in the cracks.

You can, but its damn hard work! The purpose of the sand is to
flow slightly, so that you can lay and level the slabs without
cracking them. I do lay some of mine on earth, but my soil is
60% sand and I do it only when the soil is dry - and even then
it is only the 3'x2' slabs I do that to, and I have several dozen
surplus ones. Anyone want any?

You want sharp sand, not fine sand, incidentally.

But, lastly, 220 quid plus 50 quid delivery for less than a cubic
metre of sand? Tell those crooks where to shove their sand and
find some honest supplier.

Look at Cormaic's pages on this. If your soil is stable (i.e. NOT
organic and preferably sand or gravel), you don't need a foundation
for pedestrian use (or even just cars, really). You need to make
sure it is well and uniformly compacted. But you DO want 1-2" of
sharp sand to lay slabs on, unless you want to spend ages or break
lots of slabs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 05:21 AM
dry laid patio - question Mike United Kingdom 1 05-06-2003 10:19 AM
dry laid patio - questions Mike Gardening 3 04-06-2003 03:56 AM
Laid New grass ...... When do i do my first cut ? descds United Kingdom 0 01-05-2003 09:20 AM