Old 04-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Andrew Jackson

Default What to do with Eucalyptus tree

I have moved into a house with a Eucalyptus tree which is in a completely
unsuitable position. I really like the look of this plant and would like to
move it but don't know if that's feasible, and am wondering what my options
are.

The tree is about 20-25 ft tall, and in a very awkward and unsuitable
location - more of an outdoor utility area than planted garden, surrounded
on 2 sides by a fence and on a another side by a compost heap with probably
no more that 1-2 ft space between the tree and each of these obstacles.
The main tree trunk is about 4-5 inches thick but its quite bent from having
been supported by too thin a tree post.

It can't really stay where it is. Do you think I any chance of moving it?
How would I do that? I've heard that if chopped the trunk will eventually
sprout new branches sideways rather than growing taller. Is that a feasible
option?

Thanks

Andrew

Old 04-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Jim W

Andrew Jackson wrote:

[...]

See http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk for details on coppicing Eucalyptus.

Bit late for this year, March - May is the time to do it. Some types
are more suited than others to this treatment, and you do have to be
wary of the new sprouts being secure as they *can* sometimes be prone to
snapping. (Again, all information on above website)
Moving it is probably more expensive than getting rid of it and
replacing, should you still want a Eucalyptus.. Its quite likly to be
Eucalyptus gunni (seems to be commonly planted) which is one of the
faster growing species, so it is probably less than 10 years old with a
girth of that size. If you replace, pick one of the slower growers more
suitable for coppicing.. I always thing the 'spinning gum' which has
circular juvenile leaves is good fun.

Hope this helps.
//
Jim
North London, England, UK
Old 04-06-2003, 11:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Andrew Jackson" contains these words:

I have moved into a house with a Eucalyptus tree which is in a completely
unsuitable position. I really like the look of this plant and would like to
move it but don't know if that's feasible, and am wondering what my options
are.(snip)

It can't really stay where it is. Do you think I any chance of moving it?

None whatever, sorry. Even tiny eucalypts hate having their roots disturbed.

If you cut off the top right down to just above ground level it will
make many new branches, so that it looks more like a bush than a tree.
Given the proximity of the fences etc you probably won't want that.

Janet