Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
Jo

Default How to collect clean rainwater?

How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My waterbutt always
goes green (the water, not the butt!) and has all sorts of nasty insects
living in it, not nice...!

Does it need to be out of the sun / lidded? Or can I add steriliser tablets,
or something?

Any other good ideas how to collect clean rainwater for indoor houseplant
use?

Many thanks!!
(sorry if I sound ignorant, I'm a bit of a newbie)

Old 05-06-2003, 10:18 AM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Jo
writes
How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My waterbutt always
goes green (the water, not the butt!) and has all sorts of nasty insects
living in it, not nice...!

Does it need to be out of the sun / lidded?

Exactly - get a close-fitting lid.

Or can I add steriliser tablets,

euch!

--
dave @ stejonda

?why do Americans chatter during live theatre?
Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 17:18:11 +0100, Jo wrote:

How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My waterbutt
always goes green

It only goes green if there is light getting to it. Ours has a lid but
with holes the water stays fresh and not mozzie larvae ridden. But the
latter might be due to our location rather than anything else.

--
Cheers
Dave. Remove "spam" for valid email.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
andrewpreece

The water goes green because sunlight is getting to it; make sure your
drainpipe goes into a lidded butt - there should be a hole ( or
perforation )
in the lid which'll allow a snug fit.
As for beasties, I suffer from the little red wriggling worms (
which
are midge larvae ), so I don't think it's easy to keep insects out - they
can
always get down the drainpipe. My suggestion is a bit of very fine net or
stocking over the end of the drainpipe, but you'll have to inspect it from
time to time to keeep it clear.

Andy.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , Jo
writes
How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My waterbutt always
goes green (the water, not the butt!) and has all sorts of nasty insects
living in it, not nice...!

Does it need to be out of the sun / lidded?

Exactly - get a close-fitting lid.

Which will also prevent mice and birds falling in and drowning.

Janet.

Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Jo

Thanks for the advice, everyone!!

Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM

How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My waterbutt
always goes green

It only goes green if there is light getting to it. Ours has a lid but
with holes the water stays fresh and not mozzie larvae ridden. But the
latter might be due to our location rather than anything else.

I put a large, shallow terracotta bowl (with drainage holes) on top of mine,
with the base of the bowl going down towards the water. My cats love
sleeping in this in the summer as the evaporating water keeps it nice and
cool. :-)

- h

Old 05-06-2003, 10:19 AM
Simon Avery

"Jo" wrote:

Hello Jo

J How can I collect rainwater without it going stagnant? My
J waterbutt always goes green (the water, not the butt!) and
J has all sorts of nasty insects living in it, not nice...!
J Does it need to be out of the sun / lidded? Or can I add
J steriliser tablets, or something?

Just a tight fitting lid. Algae needs sunlight to live. Insects need
access to lay eggs. You can stop both with a lid.

Lids commonly sold at garden centres for the common sized butts, btw.

But tbh, green water with larvae in isn't going to hurt your
houseplants.