GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Scale insects - biological control (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30636-scale-insects-biological-control.html)

David W.E. Roberts 05-06-2003 09:19 AM

Scale insects - biological control

Hi,

saw an article in the Sunday Times which mentioned scale insects on citrus,
and
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/scale.htm
I haven't seen this mentioned in recent threads and it looks promising for
treating my little bay tree in a pot.
Anyone used this yet?

Cheers
Dave R

Sue & Bob Hobden 05-06-2003 09:20 AM

"David wrote in message
saw an article in the Sunday Times which mentioned scale insects on

citrus,
and
http://www.greengardener.co.uk/scale.htm
I haven't seen this mentioned in recent threads and it looks promising for
treating my little bay tree in a pot.
Anyone used this yet?

If it's only a small bay tree then you could do what I do with our citrus
and wash the scale off with a high pressure jet of water. They are immobile
so can't climb back on.
Use a sprayer pumped up to max pressure and keep it there by pumping every
few seconds, then, with it turned to a single jet, wash the leaves and
stems, everywhere the scale get, going over the plant systematically.
It works and the only cost is you getting wet and the time taken (yes it
does take a while)
Do this a couple of times this year and you should get control of the
problem.

--
Bob

Runnymede fighting for it's existence.