GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Post Hole cutters (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30675-post-hole-cutters.html)

Its-eddy ! 05-06-2003 02:56 PM

Post Hole cutters

I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

Paul Kelly 05-06-2003 02:56 PM

Post Hole cutters

"Its-eddy !" wrote in message
I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

You want a Ground Auger - many tool hire shops have hand ones for not very
much and power ones for an arm and a leg (only needed if you have a lot of
holes, the hand one is pretty easy0

pk

Tim 05-06-2003 03:08 PM

Post Hole cutters

On Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:46:23 +0100, Its-eddy !
wrote:

I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

The tongs are for getting the dirt out while you're cutting the hole with a
spade. Not for digging the hole itself. Unless you have really light soil.
Tim.

Jim W 05-06-2003 04:32 PM

Post Hole cutters

Its-eddy ! wrote:

I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

Tool hire for manual and powered soil augers, or Wickes or similar for
hand post 'drivers' and suchlike.

/
Jim

Steven Pilbeam 05-06-2003 06:20 PM

Post Hole cutters

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y5C9252D4

Its-eddy ! 05-06-2003 06:56 PM

Post Hole cutters

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 18:11:02 +0100, "Steven Pilbeam"
wrote:

"Its-eddy !" wrote in message
.. .
I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?Y5C9252D4

thanks guys well done to all .....

Liz 05-06-2003 08:32 PM

Post Hole cutters

Paul Kelly wrote in message

"Its-eddy !" wrote in message
I need to drill out some post holes deep, and was wondering if anyone
has seen a drill type that will cut a hole.
The tongs type are useless IMO.

You want a Ground Auger - many tool hire shops have hand ones for not very
much and power ones for an arm and a leg (only needed if you have a lot of
holes, the hand one is pretty easy0

....Unless you have a bed of flint two feet under the surface. My simple
plan of putting a yard-high picket fence around a play area was complicated
by a 3-d interlocking puzzle of massive flints which were impossible to
lever up individually. At which point I took the ground auger back to the
hire shop and got a pickaxe and goggles. And two hours later, LOTS of
plasters.

Liz

martin 05-06-2003 08:32 PM

Post Hole cutters

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:21:40 +0000 (UTC), "Liz"
wrote:

...Unless you have a bed of flint two feet under the surface. My simple
plan of putting a yard-high picket fence around a play area was complicated
by a 3-d interlocking puzzle of massive flints which were impossible to
lever up individually. At which point I took the ground auger back to the
hire shop and got a pickaxe and goggles. And two hours later, LOTS of
plasters.

and a deep hole?
--
martin

Liz 05-06-2003 08:32 PM

Post Hole cutters

wrote:

...Unless you have a bed of flint two feet under the surface. My simple
plan of putting a yard-high picket fence around a play area was

complicated
by a 3-d interlocking puzzle of massive flints which were impossible to
lever up individually. At which point I took the ground auger back to

the
hire shop and got a pickaxe and goggles. And two hours later, LOTS of
plasters.

and a deep hole?
--

Put it this way - I sawed a foot off the fence post...

Liz

martin 05-06-2003 08:44 PM

Post Hole cutters

On Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:28:46 +0000 (UTC), "Liz"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

...Unless you have a bed of flint two feet under the surface. My simple
plan of putting a yard-high picket fence around a play area was

complicated
by a 3-d interlocking puzzle of massive flints which were impossible to
lever up individually. At which point I took the ground auger back to

the
hire shop and got a pickaxe and goggles. And two hours later, LOTS of
plasters.

and a deep hole?

Put it this way - I sawed a foot off the fence post...

LOL no wonder you got plastered :-)
--
martin

David Hill 05-06-2003 11:20 PM

Post Hole cutters

you have a bed of flint two feet under the surface.??

and you plan to put a yard-high picket fence around a play area ???

What are you holding in the play area??
15 to 18 inches with cement/concrete would have been fine and have a fence
5ft high, stop most dogs jumping it.

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries