Old 06-06-2003, 07:56 PM
Kelly and Sandy

Default Hand-hammered Scythe Blades in the UK

Dear uk.rec.gardening,

Last year I was given a brand new scythe (from Lehmans Non-Electric
Store in Ohio, USA, together with "The Scythe Book" by David Tresemer
and Peter Vido, ISBN 0-911469-19-2). I have since learnt to use my
scythe, and keep it sharp, and use it practically every day around our
organic food gardens. It's a wonderful tool.

The blade is a beautifully crafted 24-inch Marugg hand hammered
scythe blade. This size is general purpose, and will do hacking of
small saplings as well as for mowing crops.

I would like to get another blade. For heavy hacking down of
undergrowth around our farmstead.

- - -

Is there a place in Britain where I can get European-style hand-
hammered blades? (I'm NOT talking about the factory made riveted kind!)

With kind regards,

Sandy
--
Sandy Anderson
(Yorkshire, England)

Where there is no vision, the people perish.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:56 PM
Ron

The very best edge tools were made in Wells in Somerset but the industry
there has long, long, long gone. I have a bill hook that was made in Wells
and it takes an edge with which one could shave.

Ron

Old 07-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Simon Avery

Kelly and Sandy wrote:

Hello Kelly

KaS Is there a place in Britain where I can get
KaS European-style hand- hammered blades? (I'm NOT talking
KaS about the factory made riveted kind!)

Quite possibly a local blacksmith would be interested in taking on the
job - quite a few are very much into historical implements.

I'm afraid I don't know of a company that's still doing this as a main
concern, though.

Old 07-06-2003, 10:20 PM
Howard Neil

KaS Is there a place in Britain where I can get
KaS European-style hand- hammered blades? (I'm NOT talking
KaS about the factory made riveted kind!)

Quite possibly a local blacksmith would be interested in taking on the
job - quite a few are very much into historical implements.

I'm afraid I don't know of a company that's still doing this as a main
concern, though.

I have a superb sickle with such a blade that I bought (at the Smallholders
Show) second-hand from Tools For Self Reliance Cymru (
http://www.tfsrcymru.co.uk/ )

They are a charity that collect old tools and send them to communities in
Africa. They sell some of the tools to raise revenue. If you can get to
Crickhowell or to any of the events that they attend, there is a very good
chance that you will find what you want.

Howard Neil