GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   veg. in shady area (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/30864-veg-shady-area.html)

miklol 07-06-2003 06:08 AM

veg. in shady area

I have a small patch in my garden which I would like to use for vegetables,
but it is in the shade for most of the day. Are there any plants which will
do well in these conditions? what about cucumbers?

Helen Johnson @ Chris French 07-06-2003 05:08 PM

veg. in shady area

In message , miklol
writes
I have a small patch in my garden which I would like to use for vegetables,
but it is in the shade for most of the day. Are there any plants which will
do well in these conditions? what about cucumbers?

defnot cucumbers. However our veg patch is growing progressively more
shaded by an oak. It is easy to see the areas of greater shade as the
growth is more luxuriant in the sun. You can however get crops in the
shade just not as plentiful. Our crops all get morning sun. Managing the
shade reasonably are shallots garlic potatoes brassicae. Not managing
are cucurbits peas and beans fennel

Why not just experiment and see?
--
Helen Johnson @ Chris French

Colin Malsingh 08-06-2003 11:08 PM

veg. in shady area

On Sat, 7 Jun 2003 05:59:10 +0100, "miklol"
wrote:

Are there any plants which will do well in these conditions?

The Mizuma I bought this year said they should be in an area away from
direct sunlight (eg. heat of the day).

Why not give them a try? They're delicious in salads, easy to "cut and
come again" and in my garden, next to a fence, they're growing pretty
fast.

Colin
-----
Replace the obvious with Bigfoot