Old 09-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Chris Rowe

Default Newts

Hi
Iv'e just found a small newt in my equally small wildlife pond,I was told
that they are now an endangered species and that there is a number that I
can ring to notify of their appearance

Does anyone know if this is correct or is someone pulling my leg

TIA Chris

Old 09-06-2003, 04:08 PM
Dee

Common newts are quite common. If you have a great crested newt ( do a
google for more info) then you do have something special

AndyP

Old 09-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Chris
Rowe writes
Hi
Iv'e just found a small newt in my equally small wildlife pond,I was told
that they are now an endangered species and that there is a number that I
can ring to notify of their appearance

Does anyone know if this is correct or is someone pulling my leg

There are three species of newt in Britain, the smooth newt, another
newt, and the great crested. Only the great crested is endangered, and I
doubt whether yours is one of them. So look after it (since newst aren't
as common now as they were), but you don't need to tell anyone about it.

Male smooth newts have a crest down their back and tail at this time of
year - the difference between this and great crested is more subtle.

Try a google image search to get pictures of the three species, and see
if you can work out which yours is.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 09-06-2003, 05:20 PM
Malcolm

In article , Kay Easton
writes

For starters, have a look at: http://www.uksafari.com/amphibians.htm

--
Malcolm

Compatable? Koi's and Newts Cheryl Ponds 1 09-06-2004 03:11 PM
Solitary koi-thing, newts and compatibility Michael Kilpatrick Ponds 2 02-11-2003 10:32 PM
Normal behaviour for newts ? James Cook Ponds 1 16-06-2003 10:20 PM
Newts Chris Rowe United Kingdom 11 10-06-2003 10:44 PM
urgent help lizards/newts John Towill United Kingdom 4 08-11-2002 08:49 AM