Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Simon Pawson

Default Foundations and ideas for tower play fort

Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy and
after looking at loads in the shops/on the net they are either too much
like little Wendy houses or far too expensive so we would like to build
our own.

I don't know how deep to make the foundations. I expect to hire some
sort of post hole borer and make the main structure supported by 3 in x
3in or 4in x 4in treated fence posts with load bearing horizontals
comprising decking joists with floor/platforms being the thicker grade
decking planks (38mm?) with about 500mm maximum span. The walled in bits
will be exterior grade plywood painted grey with stones drawn on and
with castelations cut in the top. To minimise wind resistance I intend
to cut lots of arrow slits in the walls.

The top of the sloping roof (with more plywood castelations) is likely
to be 2.5m high, with the platform level high enough for a monkey walk
to be constructed underneath.

The surrounding is freshly rotavated earth and will be covered in play
bark when we have finished

Any advice on the foundations or any other issues,

Are there any web sites for timber strength etc?

Thanks,

Simon

--
Simon Pawson
Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
JennyC

"Simon Pawson" wrote in
message ...
Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy

snip
Any advice on the foundations or any other issues,

Nice ideas at :
http://www.dinf.ne.jp/doc/english/gl...2/dwe00248.htm
:~))

http://absolutelyfreeplans.com/ Might have some relavant info

http://www.detailedplay.com/SwingsetPlans.htm is an American site, but
has nice ideas............

Are there any web sites for timber strength etc?

Two totally confusing sites with info :
http://www.bsw.co.uk/process/strength.html
http://155.217.58.58/cgi-bin/atdl.dl...4.343/appc.htm

HTH Jenny

Old 09-06-2003, 09:10 PM
Paul Kelly

"Simon Pawson" wrote in message
Hi,

Any advice on the foundations or any other issues,

Care wrt the fence posts. Many splinter badly on the corners - they are not
intended to be people friendly. You would be better off with machined
rounded posts - a number of manuf make them for the job in hand

pk

Old 09-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Conrad Edwards

Simon Pawson wrote in message ...
Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy and
after looking at loads in the shops/on the net they are either too much
like little Wendy houses or far too expensive so we would like to build
our own.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mwdarkag...984&frame=news

Be 'The Man' with this for your kids......
Old 11-06-2003, 07:20 AM

I don't know how deep to make the foundations. I expect to hire some
sort of post hole borer and make the main structure supported by 3 in x
3in or 4in x 4in treated fence posts with load bearing horizontals

I have built something very similar.

advice:Use 4x4. A hole 60cm deep for the posts. Cut the joints in the
posts before you start. Use bags of post-mix in the holes. Buy a "post
level" a sort of two-way spirit level.

thoughts: have you considered that your fort may be a bit too planned.
With a 7 year old I would be tempted to build the frame and walls and let
him/her finish it off. Give the child a bag of nails a hammer and a few
planks, hey maybe even a tenon saw. I fear a generation is coming that
hasn't suffered a splinter.

Old 12-06-2003, 12:21 AM
N. Thornton

Simon Pawson wrote in message ...
Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy and
after looking at loads in the shops/on the net they are either too much
like little Wendy houses or far too expensive so we would like to build
our own.

The wood uprights will rot thru in time, and you need to plan that to
occur safely somehow.

Regards, NT
Old 12-06-2003, 07:21 AM
anton

Simon Pawson wrote in message ...
Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy and
after looking at loads in the shops/on the net they are either too much
like little Wendy houses or far too expensive so we would like to build
our own.

Just an alternative thought: my kids have had some fun with
a scaffolding tower. All you need for foundations is then a
small concreted flat area at each corner, and you can spread
bark elsewhere on the ground. You then can make some
extra internals and/or cladding.

--
Anton

Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Simon Pawson

In article , Paul Kelly
writes

"Simon Pawson" wrote in message
Hi,

Any advice on the foundations or any other issues,

Care wrt the fence posts. Many splinter badly on the corners - they are not
intended to be people friendly. You would be better off with machined
rounded posts - a number of manuf make them for the job in hand

pk

Thanks, I'll see if I can get some large enough. I expected to bevel the
edges using a router where I don't need squareness for joints etc. so
we'll add a quick run over with a sander as well.

Simon
--
Simon Pawson
Old 12-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Simon Pawson

In article , Conrad
Edwards writes
Simon Pawson wrote in message
Hi,

We are thinking of building a play tower for our 7 year old boy and
after looking at loads in the shops/on the net they are either too much
like little Wendy houses or far too expensive so we would like to build
our own.

http://www.wizkidsgames.com/mwdarkag...984&frame=news

Be 'The Man' with this for your kids......

Wow. Nice but too much.

--
Simon Pawson
Old 14-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Conrad Edwards

Just an alternative thought: my kids have had some fun with
a scaffolding tower. All you need for foundations is then a
small concreted flat area at each corner, and you can spread
bark elsewhere on the ground. You then can make some
extra internals and/or cladding.

Sounds like the portaloo play area from Phoenix Nights....