Old 10-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Colin Davidson

Default Courgettes, should they do this?

I'm growing courgettes for the first time. All seemed to be going well,
they're in a rich soil which I've been feeding weekly, and they've been
growing at a tremendous rate. Started flowering a week and a bit ago, but
the flowers seem awfully fleeting (flower for a day or so, then they close
up) and thus far the first two little baby courgettes have become soft and
atrophied.

What's up with them?

Cheers in advance,

Colin.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Paul Kelly

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message
I'm growing courgettes for the first time. All seemed to be going well,
they're in a rich soil which I've been feeding weekly, and they've been
growing at a tremendous rate. Started flowering a week and a bit ago, but
the flowers seem awfully fleeting (flower for a day or so, then they close
up) and thus far the first two little baby courgettes have become soft and
atrophied.

What's up with them?

There are two types of flower. Female with the mini courgette just behind,
male without. you need both types in flower at the same time plus insects to
pollinate to get as crop.

It often happens at the start of flowering that the female flowers come
first (cue risqué comments) - maybe that is natures way of ensuring at least
some cross pollination? - but don't worry it will sort it self out in due
course.

pk

Old 10-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Drakanthus

[...]

A tip I picked up on this group last year about courgettes is worth noting:
When watering them (which they need frequently) avoid getting water into the
female flowers, as this has a tendency to make the baby courgettes go rotten
at the flower end, progressing into the whole courgette. It had baffled me
for ages why that happened sometimes to seemingly healthy courgettes.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Colin Davidson

"Drakanthus" wrote in message

[...]

Great stuff. Thanks for the advice in the above two postings, it's much
appreciated

Should they be Mike United Kingdom 4 28-11-2004 12:51 PM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to! zhanataya Gardening 0 29-03-2003 04:44 AM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to! Peter Gregson Gardening 19 29-03-2003 03:20 AM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they don't want to! Polar Gardening 0 29-03-2003 12:20 AM
OFF: I don't see why children should have to go to school if they zxcvbob Gardening 0 28-03-2003 11:08 PM