Old 11-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Evelyn Usher

Default Conifers. Help What can I plant round them?

Hi there,

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

I did try heathers and that was not a success. Can I put in some Bedding plants and perhaps a Clematis?

I am quite new to this gardening and want a nice show of colour.

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Old 11-06-2003, 03:08 PM
Nick Gray

"Evelyn Usher" wrote in message
. ..
Hi there,

I have several conifers growing in half barrels around my garden.

What I want to know is. What can I grow round them? The conifers are the

small variety, about 3-4
feet high.

I did try heathers and that was not a success. Can I put in some Bedding

plants and perhaps a Clematis?

I am quite new to this gardening and want a nice show of colour.

--
Evelyn in Scotland

Hi Evelyn,

Summer bedding would be fine, just make sure that you keep the barrels well
watered to stop the greedy conifers drinking all the water.

In the winter I replace my summer bedding, that is around my dwarf conifer,
with winter pansies.

I think that a Clematis would grow too vigorously for a barrel, but having
said that a fan trellis at the back of the barrel for it to grow up might be
nice.

HTH

Nick

Old 11-06-2003, 08:08 PM
IntarsiaCo

Epimediums will tolerate the dryish conditions beneath your conifers.
Old 11-06-2003, 08:23 PM
bnd777

Conifers of all kinds are greedy feeders and strip the soil along with
turning it acid
hence the difficulties of growing much near them and the reason for Leylandi
wars
Do give the suggestions from other posters a try though

Old 11-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Kay Easton

In article , Evelyn Usher
writes
In article ,
(Nick Gray) wrote:

Hi there.

Thanks for the quick answer,

I bought o couple of clematis today from our local co op supermarket 2 for £2,
99,

Clematis like to stay moist around the roots. Plant them away from the
base of the tree and guide them up and towards it. Be prepared to water
in the first year.

But at that price, it's worth the experiment.

so I think I will try this and some petunias round the
conifer. The barrel is in a sheltered spot against a wall

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page: