Old 12-06-2003, 08:56 AM
Kim Bewick

Default Is there a rose called Esther

Hi Everyone
Can anyone tell me if there is a rose called Esther available to purchase in
the UK.
An elderly friend of the family died last week and my 11 year old daughter
wants to plant a rose in her memory?
Thank you
Kim
(Cardiff, Wales, UK)

Old 12-06-2003, 09:34 AM
Nick Gray

"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
Can anyone tell me if there is a rose called Esther available to purchase

in
the UK.
An elderly friend of the family died last week and my 11 year old daughter
wants to plant a rose in her memory?
Thank you
Kim
(Cardiff, Wales, UK)

Hi Kim,

There is a Rosa 'Esther' in the USA (see
http://www.rogersroses.com/help/default.asp and enter Esther in the search
box), but can't seem to find a supplier in the UK. Also the RHS plantfinder
doesn't seem to list it, however there are other plants called Esther - have
a look here http://www.rhs.org.uk/rhsplantfinder/plantfinder.asp and enter
Esther in the search box.

What I'd suggest though is to buy a nice rose that is suited to the
conditions where you want to plant it, i.e. standard, climbing, miniature
etc. And remember her that way.

HTH

Nick

Old 12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Rick McGreal

"Kim Bewick" wrote in
:

Hi Everyone
Can anyone tell me if there is a rose called Esther available to
purchase in the UK.
An elderly friend of the family died last week and my 11 year old
daughter wants to plant a rose in her memory?
Thank you

I couldn't find one in my book....
Perhaps you could find another word that would suit?
'Golden Wings'
Modern Shrub

'Blessings'
Floribunda

'Peace' (Very nice yellow flower)
Hybrid tea rose

'Bonsoir' (Isn't that french for Goodnight?)
Hybrid tea rose

BTW....Did you know there is a 'Kim' rose?
Its a floribunda.....I know because its also the name of my wife and we now
have 2 of them....B-)
Old 13-06-2003, 12:45 AM
Rodger Whitlock

On 12 Jun 2003 08:40:16 GMT, Rick McGreal wrote:

'Golden Wings'
Modern Shrub

Flowers throughout the summer, never a lot at once, but always at
least a few blossoms. Seems to have a rather lax growth habit and
might do better rather carefully trained on a wall or fence. I
suspect it prefers good living, lots of water and fertilizer.

'Peace' (Very nice yellow flower)
Hybrid tea rose

Unfortunately, with age, 'Peace' has lost the qualities that made
it a sensation in the immediate post-WWII era. As the rosarians
term it, it was orginally a "hundred-petal" rose, but the stock
has degraded and only very old plants from the earliest years of
its introduction show such luxuriance.

Also, 'Peace' is usually described as a pink-yellow blend.

The 11 y.o. might want to investigate roses with the word "angel"
in their name. I'm sure there are a number.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
Old 13-06-2003, 06:30 AM
JennyC

"Kim Bewick" wrote in message
Hi Everyone
Can anyone tell me if there is a rose called Esther available to

purchase in
the UK.
An elderly friend of the family died last week and my 11 year old

daughter
wants to plant a rose in her memory?
Thank you
Kim
(Cardiff, Wales, UK)

I could not find a rose, but .......
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk/cat5.htm has:
"HEDERA helix "GOLDEN ESTHER" £5.00 Evergreen self clinging climber.
Golden yellow leaves."

And http://www.fsperennials.co.uk/catalo...sterothers.htm has :
ASTER ericoides 'Esther'

HTH Jenny :~)

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Kim Bewick

Hi Everyone
Thank you to all of you for you help and suggestions. We have been out today
and selected a beautiful rose that in the end my daughter chose because she
liked the colour :-) That's kids for you.
Thank you all again.
Best wishes
Kim

Is there a rose called Annie? jj Roses 3 27-11-2004 11:25 PM
A rose called Gilbert Lisa Roses 1 02-11-2004 04:50 PM
"Queen of Esther" grape vine Andy Hunt United Kingdom 0 18-04-2004 11:05 PM
There HAS to be a twelve step program out there.................. madgardener Gardening 15 06-11-2003 03:02 PM
help, is there anybody out there! dennis Gardening 1 27-03-2003 01:44 AM