Old 12-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Janice

Default Rust on Chives and Ornamental Allium

This year, my chives are inedible because they're covered in rust. The rust
has also spread to all the ornamental alliums nearby. Anti-fungus spray
hasn't done much to help the problem.

What, if anything, do I need to do to my ornamental alliums? Will they be
okay if I just leave them to do their thing then eventually die back
naturally? Or do I need to treat them in some way to prevent rust next
year?

Thanks.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:44 PM
Colin Malsingh

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 10:40:41 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

This year, my chives are inedible because they're covered in rust.

What, if anything, do I need to do to my ornamental alliums?

Oh dear. See also an earlier post "Help- Rust on my Garlic!"

If you get any useful answers, or have a flash of inspiration. let me
know.

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)
Old 13-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Janice

Hi, Colin. I've done Google searches and it seems that there's no cure or
prevention for the rust, and many of the sites (Californian) say to destroy
the crop. Last night, I completely chopped down my chives (lovely aroma)
and today I'll dig them up, divide them, replant them, perhaps give them a
spray with anti-fungus, and hope for the best next year. Probably the
initially hot then cold/wet spring weather this year contributed to the
outbreak of rust.

As for my ornamental alliums, I'll just have to keep a close eye on them for
now. I have dozens more almost ready to flower, so at least the flowering
doesn't seem to be affected (touch wood).

Good luck!

Old 13-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Colin Malsingh

On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 10:06:38 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Hi, Colin. I've done Google searches and it seems that there's no cure or
prevention for the rust, and many of the sites (Californian) say to destroy
the crop.

Yes, that seems to be the view and I agree with your suggestion of the
causes. I've also seen people recommend that:

a) Garlic needs to be watered regularly if there's a hot dry spell

b) You should water in the morning, so that any splashes on the
leaves can dry off. Doing it at night could cause lingering dampness,
giving any fungal infections like Rust a better chance to get
established.

In the meantime, the rust has been on mine so long that if it was
going to spread to anything else, it would already have done so. I
can't bear throwing away what I've got, so I'm going to leave it a few
more weeks till the point I would have picked it, then see what I've
got.

Unlike you, I don't need the worst affected parts (ie. the leaves)

Colin
-----
(Please reply via the newsgroup)

Leek/Allium rust RG[_3_] United Kingdom 6 29-04-2014 10:19 PM
Update: landscape fabric and onion chives Salty Thumb Gardening 0 13-03-2004 01:12 PM
Rust on Chives Jan United Kingdom 0 06-02-2004 05:27 PM
ornamental allium Mike Tickle United Kingdom 3 11-08-2003 11:32 AM
Rust on Chives Adrian Jones United Kingdom 2 11-05-2003 12:44 PM