GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Large, Bright Green Caterpillar on my Broad Beans (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31616-large-bright-green-caterpillar-my-broad-beans.html)

Steve Harris 12-06-2003 03:44 PM

Large, Bright Green Caterpillar on my Broad Beans

About 2.5" long. I've been killing them. Should I bother?

Thanks!

Kay Easton 12-06-2003 04:32 PM

Large, Bright Green Caterpillar on my Broad Beans

In article , Steve
Harris writes
About 2.5" long. I've been killing them. Should I bother?

Depends on how much effect they're having on the broad beans! If they're
that big, and the beans are still standing, it suggests you could
probably leave the rest.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

ned 12-06-2003 11:32 PM

Steve Harris wrote:
About 2.5" long. I've been killing them. Should I bother?

'Could be Hawkmoth caterpillars - although I can't say if there is a
species which has a taste for broad beans. Do your beans show great
signs of devastation?
There are species which have a taste for privet and bindweed. The
caterpillars hatch out underground and will climb in search of food.

The moths are spectacular.

--
ned

Steve Harris 13-06-2003 01:08 AM

Large, Bright Green Caterpillar on my Broad Beans

In article ,
(ned) wrote:

Do your beans show great
signs of devastation?

Lot of holes in the leaves

There are species which have a taste for privet and bindweed

I want!!!!!!!

shazzbat 13-06-2003 11:44 PM

Large, Bright Green Caterpillar on my Broad Beans

"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,
(ned) wrote:

Do your beans show great
signs of devastation?

Lot of holes in the leaves

There are species which have a taste for privet and bindweed

I want!!!!!!!

Is there a species which has a taste for marestails?

(He asked hopefully)

ned 14-06-2003 01:44 AM

shazzbat wrote:
"Steve Harris" wrote in message
In article ,

(ned) wrote:

Do your beans show great
signs of devastation?

Lot of holes in the leaves

There are species which have a taste for privet and bindweed

I want!!!!!!!

Is there a species which has a taste for marestails?

(He asked hopefully)

LOL .... if only! :-)

--
ned