Old 12-06-2003, 08:45 PM
brimon

Default Raspberry Beetle

Hi

Last year my crop of late fruiting raspberries were almost ruined by a
miserable little whitish yellow grub getting into the fruit.
I believe the pest is Raspberry Beetle and that you should spray around
fruiting time to prevent.
The canes were a gift some time ago, they grow well, and the fruit is
delicious - IMHO better than the more popular earlier varieties.
I think they are Autumn Bliss but they are 'lost label'.
Could you please advise what to spray with and when and possibly how to
prevent.

I know you are all very helpful folk and look forward to some expert advice
and more mouthwatering fruit.

Brian

Old 13-06-2003, 11:44 PM
jane

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:40:05 +0100, "brimon"
wrote:

~Hi
~
~Last year my crop of late fruiting raspberries were almost ruined by a
~miserable little whitish yellow grub getting into the fruit.
~I believe the pest is Raspberry Beetle and that you should spray around
~fruiting time to prevent.
~The canes were a gift some time ago, they grow well, and the fruit is
~delicious - IMHO better than the more popular earlier varieties.
~I think they are Autumn Bliss but they are 'lost label'.
~Could you please advise what to spray with and when and possibly how to
~prevent.

Derris (rotenone) is a recommended spray or powder for raspberry beetle.
It's sort-of organic, as it can be used 'as a last resort' for several
things eg flea beetle, but the official HDRA organic solution is to remove
mulches and rake the ground around canes after fruiting in the autumn so
the birds can get in and eat the overwintering adult beetles. Also to
introduce chickens! In bad cases, cut canes to ground so there will be no
fruit and therefore no adults, but of course you lose a crop.

The non-organic option (RHS fruit and veg gardening) is bifenthrin spray.

Both control sprays should be applied at dusk when the fruits just show
some pink, in order to minimise damage to beneficial pollinating insects.

~I know you are all very helpful folk and look forward to some expert advice
~and more mouthwatering fruit.

Good luck. I'll be out there with my derris soon...

--
jane

Mark Twain

Old 14-06-2003, 03:32 PM
Alan Gould

In article , jane jane@moonrose.
demonmapson.co.uk writes

Derris (rotenone) is a recommended spray or powder for raspberry beetle.
It's sort-of organic, as it can be used 'as a last resort' for several
things eg flea beetle, but the official HDRA organic solution is to remove
mulches and rake the ground around canes after fruiting in the autumn so
the birds can get in and eat the overwintering adult beetles.

IMHO the HDRA organic solution would be by far the best method in the
longer term. It tackles the problem on the plant and in the soil,
whereas derris/rotenone will only kill off living beetles, leaving
infestation in the ground as eggs or pupae to re-appear in subsequent
years. The chemicals sprayed will also remain on ripening fruit and
will enter the food chain - exactly what organic methods aim to prevent.

When a gardener or grower decides to convert from chemical to organic
methods, they may need a little help to tackle problems remaining in
their plants or soil. Organic standards recognise that and make
provision for it by introducing a conversion period, but produce grown
during that period cannot be sold to the public as organic.

HDRA guidelines for recreational organic gardening give qualified
acceptance to certain methods and materials to help gardeners through
conversion. Those are only intended to be used 'as a last resort' as you
rightly say, and they are not suitable for regular use in an organic
garden. Derris/rotenone is listed as unsuitable amongst many other
materials such as Bordeaux mixture, soft soap, Pyrethrum, Quassia,
copper based substances, Borax, disinfectants etc. etc.

Full details are in the HDRA booklet 'Guidelines for Organic Gardening'
available from their website at: www.hdra.org.uk
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.
Old 14-06-2003, 08:08 PM
brimon

"brimon" wrote in message
Hi

Last year my crop of late fruiting raspberries were almost ruined by a
miserable little whitish yellow grub getting into the fruit.
I believe the pest is Raspberry Beetle and that you should spray around
fruiting time to prevent.
The canes were a gift some time ago, they grow well, and the fruit is
delicious - IMHO better than the more popular earlier varieties.
I think they are Autumn Bliss but they are 'lost label'.
Could you please advise what to spray with and when and possibly how to
prevent.

I know you are all very helpful folk and look forward to some expert

advice
and more mouthwatering fruit.

Brian

Many thanks to both of you for very full and helpful advice.
I now know how these beasties operate and will try to prevent them
overwintering.
Might have to resort to derris this year but hope not.
Powdered root is not exactly chemical -although I do strive to follow the
organic path.
I also do like raspberries and always very thoroughly wash them after
picking.

Thanks again

Brian

Raspberry Beetle Poppy United Kingdom 0 28-06-2005 10:28 PM
babba raspberry Alan Edible Gardening 6 05-03-2003 07:17 AM
Raspberry Bushes Dessy Edible Gardening 3 24-02-2003 02:03 PM
Raspberry canes John Cotterill United Kingdom 1 14-01-2003 11:24 PM
Moving raspberry canes Jo United Kingdom 2 24-11-2002 02:35 PM