Old 13-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Neil Trotter

Default Spuds

Living in S.E. Essex I'd have thought the first of my spuds would've
been about ready by now (Foremost planted early March, followed by
Kestrel in April, Desiree in May), but the only ones to have flowered so
far are the main crop!

Maybe I planted them too deep (about 9"-12"), but if you could have seen
the heavy claggy soggy mess that was the soil I put them in at the time,
you would understand why.

I will be patient.

What I did find, lurking in the corner of the compost patch, was a
well-developed potato plant, no doubt grown from some peelings. Hmm,
wouldn't be any harm in taking what's under there, I thought.

Glad I did -- a nice little nest of rosy new spuds, variety unknown, but
mostly pink. Had them just now with breakfast as a side-dish with some
sour cream & chives. Yum!

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).
Old 13-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Dee

"Neil Trotter" wrote in message
Living in S.E. Essex I'd have thought the first of my spuds would've
been about ready by now (Foremost planted early March, followed by
Kestrel in April, Desiree in May), but the only ones to have flowered so
far are the main crop!

Maybe I planted them too deep (about 9"-12"), but if you could have seen
the heavy claggy soggy mess that was the soil I put them in at the time,
you would understand why.

I will be patient.

We planted kestrel on 22nd Mar and have been harvesting for a week now
exactly 11 weeks after planting (we chiited first) so my guess would be
about another week to 10 days and you should be OK.

You could always have a quick grub around to have a look-see.

Well worth waiting for we are getting about 1lb of spuds from each seed
planted and the taste delicious

AndyP

Old 13-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Neil Trotter

In article , Andy said:

We planted kestrel on 22nd Mar and have been harvesting for a week now
exactly 11 weeks after planting (we chiited first) so my guess would be
about another week to 10 days and you should be OK.

That's good to know. My Kestrels went in a couple of weeks later, so
that sounds about right. Although these don't have any flowers yet,
they have the most foliage, so I'm hopeful!

You could always have a quick grub around to have a look-see.

I think I may just do that :-)

Well worth waiting for we are getting about 1lb of spuds from each seed
planted and the taste delicious

Good news again! I wasn't sure what to expect with these (or Foremost),
as they were fetched for me as "substitutes" by a neighbour in a nearby
hort club. I can't even remember what my first & second choices were
(though Pink Fir Apple was in there somewhere), but I do like Desiree.

--Neil.

--
Neil Trotter, Canewdon, UK. (Amend email address to use).

Spuds Brian Watson United Kingdom 9 27-01-2004 08:32 AM
New spuds Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 12 07-07-2003 02:47 AM
Black leaves on spuds - Beans too Colin Malsingh United Kingdom 0 19-05-2003 10:44 PM
Black leaves on spuds Shakespeare United Kingdom 1 19-05-2003 05:56 PM
Spuds - when to harvest? Tom Elliott Australia 4 05-04-2003 06:33 AM