Old 14-06-2003, 10:08 AM
Brian Watson

Default Water butt beastie

Plunging a bucket into my water butt this morning to give the roses a bit of
help through the dry spell, I noticed four or five unfamiliar beasties
twitching in the drawn water.

Each is about a quarter of an inch long, mostly clear but with darker areas
transversely and a definite head end.

There is a very thin, quite short, breathing tube (I assume) at the other
end.

Not any variety of mozzie larva I know.

Any suggestions?
--
Brian
"posting from Sutton, Winner of the English and Welsh Village of the Year

Old 14-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Mary Fisher

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Plunging a bucket into my water butt this morning to give the roses a bit

of
help through the dry spell, I noticed four or five unfamiliar beasties
twitching in the drawn water.

You only have one kind?

Golly, there must be half a dozen different kinds in our butt - but only in
the open one. The ones with lids have no visible life in them, must be a
lesson there !

Mary

Old 14-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Gareth Jones

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Golly, there must be half a dozen different kinds in our butt

Nasty!

Gareth Jones

"Reality sucks - go watch a Star Trek"

To email, remove the '_ns_' from

Old 14-06-2003, 11:32 PM
Mary Fisher

"Gareth Jones" wrote in message
In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Golly, there must be half a dozen different kinds in our butt

Nasty!

Well, I don't know. They don't seem unfriendly. They don't smile at me
either mind you ...

I don't mind them.

Mary

Old 15-06-2003, 10:56 AM
Gareth Jones

In article , Mary Fisher
writes
Golly, there must be half a dozen different kinds in our butt

Nasty!

Well, I don't know. They don't seem unfriendly. They don't smile at me
either mind you ...

ROTFLMFHO!!!!!

It must be great being double jointed!

Old 15-06-2003, 11:21 AM
Brian Watson

"Mary Fisher" wrote in message
t...

"Brian Watson" wrote in message
Plunging a bucket into my water butt this morning to give the roses a

bit
of
help through the dry spell, I noticed four or five unfamiliar beasties
twitching in the drawn water.

You only have one kind?

No, I have several kinds. It's just that I can't identify this kind!

Golly, there must be half a dozen different kinds in our butt - but only

in
the open one. The ones with lids have no visible life in them, must be a
lesson there !

I have a lid on mine but I assume the parents got in where the inpipe passes
through that lid.

Had another look this morning.

The bodies have a kind of blotchy, almost zigzag dark pattern when viewed
from above, and the pipe-type "tail" is actually about as long as the body.

Any ideas?
--
Brian
"Stuck down a hole, in the fog, in the middle of the night, with an owl."

Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Brian Watson

"sw" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

The bodies have a kind of blotchy, almost zigzag dark pattern when

viewed
from above, and the pipe-type "tail" is actually about as long as the

body.

Any ideas?

Some type of hoverfly larva? Specifically that known as the 'rat-tailed
maggot', the larva of the Drone Fly _Eristalis tenax_ (the tube is very
extensible). I have these in my half-barrel 'pond' and would not be
surprised to find them in a water butt to which the adults could gain
access. They are harmless, and the adults are good pollinators.

http://res2.agr.ca/lethbridge/scitech/kdf/rat_e.htm

Excellent! That's the one, I'm sure.

"Adults feed on nectar and probably serve a minor beneficial role by
pollinating flowers" and "harmless to livestock, pets and people"

Thank you very much.

Old 19-06-2003, 07:56 PM
sw

Brian Watson wrote:

[-]

I have a lid on mine but I assume the parents got in where the inpipe passes
through that lid.

Had another look this morning.

The bodies have a kind of blotchy, almost zigzag dark pattern when viewed
from above, and the pipe-type "tail" is actually about as long as the body.

Any ideas?

Some type of hoverfly larva? Specifically that known as the 'rat-tailed
maggot', the larva of the Drone Fly _Eristalis tenax_ (the tube is very
extensible). I have these in my half-barrel 'pond' and would not be
surprised to find them in a water butt to which the adults could gain
access. They are harmless, and the adults are good pollinators.

http://res2.agr.ca/lethbridge/scitech/kdf/rat_e.htm

regards
sarah

--
Waist deep, neck deep
We'll be drowning before too long
Old 21-06-2003, 10:56 AM
sw

Brian Watson wrote:

"sw" wrote in message
Brian Watson wrote:

The bodies have a kind of blotchy, almost zigzag dark pattern when

viewed
from above, and the pipe-type "tail" is actually about as long as the

body.

Any ideas?

Some type of hoverfly larva? Specifically that known as the 'rat-tailed
maggot', the larva of the Drone Fly _Eristalis tenax_ (the tube is very
extensible). I have these in my half-barrel 'pond' and would not be
surprised to find them in a water butt to which the adults could gain
access. They are harmless, and the adults are good pollinators.

http://res2.agr.ca/lethbridge/scitech/kdf/rat_e.htm

Excellent! That's the one, I'm sure.

"Adults feed on nectar and probably serve a minor beneficial role by
pollinating flowers" and "harmless to livestock, pets and people"

Thank you very much.

My pleasure :-)

regards
sarah

Old 04-07-2003, 12:32 AM
Mary Fisher

Some type of hoverfly larva? Specifically that known as the 'rat-tailed
maggot', the larva of the Drone Fly _Eristalis tenax_ (the tube is very
extensible). I have these in my half-barrel 'pond' and would not be
surprised to find them in a water butt to which the adults could gain
access. They are harmless, and the adults are good pollinators.

And our hens just love the larvae ...

Thanks for the site.

Mary