Old 14-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Charlie

Default Bluebell seeds

I've been waiting to collect bluebell seeds from out HUGE amount of plants
in the garden with a look to take them with me when I move out in September.
I would dig the bulbs up, but they're all intertwined with other plants and
seeds would be much easier to store! They've turned black in the seed pods
now, is this the right time to collect them? What do I do with them once
I've got them, how do I dry them? Or do I have to pot them up straight
away?

Charlie.

Old 14-06-2003, 11:08 AM
Ron

Charlie,

PLEASE remember that the Spanish bluebell is slowly cross pollinating with
our more delicate - and I think more beautiful - native bluebell so if the
ones in your garden are the Spanish variety - leaves much longer, stems
thicker, bells pointing every which way - dead head them now and do not
spread the "disease" PLEASE.

Regards

Ron.

Old 14-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

I collected bluebell seeds last year and sowed them in seed trays in the
Spring. Unfortunately nothing has happened!! So like you, I would be
interested to know how to deal with them.

Jeanne Stockdale

Old 14-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Ron

"Charlie" wrote in message
Yes, they're the spanish type, but I happen to think they're just as
beautiful.

If you think that then why not collect some wild bluebell seeds from the
woods and plant those ii your new garden?

I collected eight ounces of wild seed a few years ago spread them along the
IW roadsides and last year was their first year of flowering.

If you cannot wait for three or four years for bluebells from seed I suggest
you dig up the Spanish ones and take them with you.

Regards

Ron

Old 14-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Charlie

"Ron" wrote in message

If you think that then why not collect some wild bluebell seeds from the

woods and plant those ii your new garden?

Because I've never seen them growing wild round here, and they're not the
ones I want!

If you cannot wait for three or four years for bluebells from seed I

suggest
you dig up the Spanish ones and take them with you.

I am prepared to wait three or four years, but I cannot dig up the one's in
this garden as they're surrounded by hundreds of other plants. I only
wanted information on how to collect, store and sow the seeds, if you can
help me, please do, if you can't then please don't try to change my mind.

Charlie.

Regards

Ron

Old 14-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Ron

Jeanne,

Find a shady and reasonably moist area of your garden 3ft by 3ft say and
clear it of grass and weeds. Lightly dig the surface and bring to a fine
tilth. Mix in some leaf mould or WELL rotted compost. Sprinkle the
bluebell seed liberally all over the area and lightly rake in.

FORGET about it and let nature do its work. In a few years after they have
flowered and died down dig up the bulbs and transplant.

That's what I did and it worked.

Regards

Ron.

Old 14-06-2003, 12:45 PM
Pam Moore

On Sat, 14 Jun 2003 10:23:06 +0100, "Ron"
wrote:

If you think that then why not collect some wild bluebell seeds from the
woods and plant those ii your new garden?

NO. Why deplete the countyside even further of this vanishing English
bluebell?
Chiltern sell packets of bluebell seed.
Chris Beardshaw (on Flying Gardener I think) showed planting them in
pots and leaving them in a shady place till next year.

Pam in Bristol
Old 14-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Annabel

"Ron" wrote in message

"Charlie" wrote in message
Yes, they're the spanish type, but I happen to think they're just as
beautiful.

If you think that then why not collect some wild bluebell seeds from

the
woods and plant those ii your new garden?

I collected eight ounces of wild seed a few years ago spread them

along the
IW roadsides and last year was their first year of flowering.

If you cannot wait for three or four years for bluebells from seed I

suggest
you dig up the Spanish ones and take them with you.

Regards

Ron

Collecting seed from the wild is illegal and is partly what has been
blamed on the reduction and/or local extinction of some species of plant
not least in the huge quantity that you say you took. I'm not sure if
planting seed in ground where you have no permission is illegal but it
is very definitely frowned on and irresponsible, and it has led to the
degradation of local races i.e. the rapid increase in Spanish bluebell
in the u.k.

Bel

Old 14-06-2003, 10:08 PM
Nick Maclaren

In article ,
Annabel wrote:

Collecting seed from the wild is illegal and is partly what has been
blamed on the reduction and/or local extinction of some species of plant
not least in the huge quantity that you say you took. I'm not sure if
planting seed in ground where you have no permission is illegal but it
is very definitely frowned on and irresponsible, and it has led to the
degradation of local races i.e. the rapid increase in Spanish bluebell
in the u.k.

You are seriously confused. No, it is not illegal in the UK, in
general, but may be for some plants. It has little or no effect
on the reproduction of species like bluebells, which use seed mainly
to propagate themselves to new areas. And, no, it has not helped
with the spread of Spanish bluebells - as the poster assumed, it
would probably reduce that effect.

However, there are SOME plants in SOME places where your statements
would be true. Almost always annuals, for obvious reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 15-06-2003, 12:32 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Annabel
writes

Collecting seed from the wild is illegal

Are you sure of that? Can you specify the legislation that it comes
under?

Uprooting plants without the owner's permission is illegal, but not,
AFAIK, collecting seed.

--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 15-06-2003, 07:34 AM
Ron

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Snip

. . . . Snip . . .No, it is not illegal in the UK, in
general, but may be for some plants. It has little or no effect
on the reproduction of species like bluebells, which use seed mainly
to propagate themselves to new areas. And, no, it has not helped
with the spread of Spanish bluebells - as the poster assumed, it
would probably reduce that effect.

However, there are SOME plants in SOME places where your statements
would be true. Almost always annuals, for obvious reasons.

Thanks for that Nick.

I've also collected Campion seed and spread them along roadsides and before
anybody accuses me of reducing the wild flower population by doing that, I'd
like to point out that one of the main causes of roadside wild flower
depopulation is the cutting of verges before seed of plants such as campion
and bluebell has set.

Visit Cornwall in late May or early June and you'll see roadside verges the
like of which will take your breath away! Providing of course you keep away
from the roads where the emmets are usually found!

Regards

Ron

Old 15-06-2003, 08:32 AM
Ron

"Pam Moore" wrote in message

Snip

NO. Why deplete the countyside even further of this vanishing English
bluebell?

Nick answers that.

Chiltern sell packets of bluebell seed.

I wonder what species they are.

Might they be Spanish or hybrids? I would not risk buying them unless sure
that they are not.

Are they collected from the wild for sale? Some wild flower seeds are
collected for profit and I deplore that! Of course, if the market was to
dry up . . . . . . . !

Regards

Ron