GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plants disliked by rabbits (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/31966-plants-disliked-rabbits.html)

David P 14-06-2003 10:44 PM

Plants disliked by rabbits

Hi all
nods to some familiar names

Googling through the two groups it seems the question has only been asked
once and that a few years ago so...

Does anybody have any tips as to the type of plants that are disliked by
rabbits please?

As a starter we find that Lavender is not touched by 'ours' nor are
Astilbe and Hosta. Any others would be gratefully received.

FWIW we have also tried Renardine. This seems to work OK but does tend
to amsk the more natural smell in the garden. The ideal would be to
forget the Renardine and just fill the beds with plants the coneys won't
touch.
--
David
Visit http://www.farm-direct.co.uk for your local farmgate food supplies.

Dwayne 15-06-2003 03:44 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

No promises, but it seems to work for me to plant a clove of garlic between
the plants I want to protect from them (cabbage, Brussels sprouts,
cauliflower, broccoli). Havent had a problem for two years.

Dwayne

Franz Heymann 15-06-2003 08:36 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

"Dwayne" wrote in message
No promises, but it seems to work for me to plant a clove of garlic

between
the plants I want to protect from them (cabbage, Brussels sprouts,
cauliflower, broccoli). Havent had a problem for two years.

I love the smell of garlick. What are the chances that it will rpel my
neighbours' multitudinous cats?

In another vein, has any reader ever tried out these new fangled supersonic
sound generators as a cat repellent?

Franz Heymann

Dwayne

Annabel 15-06-2003 09:08 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

"Franz Heymann" wrote in message

"Dwayne" wrote in message
No promises, but it seems to work for me to plant a clove of garlic

between
the plants I want to protect from them (cabbage, Brussels sprouts,
cauliflower, broccoli). Havent had a problem for two years.

I love the smell of garlick. What are the chances that it will rpel

my
neighbours' multitudinous cats?

In another vein, has any reader ever tried out these new fangled

supersonic
sound generators as a cat repellent?

I have been told that the cats just get used to it, using it
intermitantly would prolong its effectiveness

bel

Annabel 15-06-2003 09:08 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

"David P" wrote in message
Hi all
nods to some familiar names

Googling through the two groups it seems the question has only been

asked
once and that a few years ago so...

Does anybody have any tips as to the type of plants that are disliked

by
rabbits please?

As a starter we find that Lavender is not touched by 'ours' nor are
Astilbe and Hosta. Any others would be gratefully received.

FWIW we have also tried Renardine. This seems to work OK but does

tend
to amsk the more natural smell in the garden. The ideal would be to
forget the Renardine and just fill the beds with plants the coneys

won't
touch.
--
David

I started a list of such plants, which I cant find, but iirc its very
short. Iirc it has on it euphorbia.

Bel

Annabel 15-06-2003 09:20 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

"David P" wrote in message
Hi all
nods to some familiar names

Googling through the two groups it seems the question has only been

asked
once and that a few years ago so...

Does anybody have any tips as to the type of plants that are disliked

by
rabbits please?

As a starter we find that Lavender is not touched by 'ours' nor are
Astilbe and Hosta. Any others would be gratefully received.

FWIW we have also tried Renardine. This seems to work OK but does

tend
to amsk the more natural smell in the garden. The ideal would be to
forget the Renardine and just fill the beds with plants the coneys

won't
touch.
--
David

Animal deterrents, but not plants..... There is/was on the
market a motion detector that operated a water system, hooked up to an
impulse sprayer it could be effective, what do you want, eaten plants or
burnt plants!!!!! :-)....... A motion detector could be used to
operate electrical *scarecrows*.

bel

martin 15-06-2003 09:44 AM

Plants disliked by rabbits

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 08:59:39 +0100, "Annabel"
wrote:

In another vein, has any reader ever tried out these new fangled

supersonic
sound generators as a cat repellent?

I have been told that the cats just get used to it, using it
intermitantly would prolong its effectiveness

They probably got used to it when the same devices were sold as
mosquito repellents.

Buy a dog whistle and try blowing on that.
--
martin

David P 16-06-2003 08:20 PM

Plants disliked by rabbits

In article ,
says...

"David P" wrote in message

Does anybody have any tips as to the type of plants that are disliked

by
rabbits please?

As a starter we find that Lavender is not touched by 'ours' nor are
Astilbe and Hosta. Any others would be gratefully received.

I started a list of such plants, which I cant find, but iirc its very
short. Iirc it has on it euphorbia.

Thanks for that. I'm told I forgot to mention that the heathers are
doing OK, so that is another for the list.

John Towill 17-06-2003 01:08 PM

Plants disliked by rabbits

--
"David P" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

"David P" wrote in message

Does anybody have any tips as to the type of plants that are disliked

by
rabbits please?

As a starter we find that Lavender is not touched by 'ours' nor are
Astilbe and Hosta. Any others would be gratefully received.

I started a list of such plants, which I cant find, but iirc its very
short. Iirc it has on it euphorbia.

Thanks for that. I'm told I forgot to mention that the heathers are
doing OK, so that is another for the list.
--
David

One I the few, in fact the only I have is Rock Rose.
Reminds me must look for more varieties.

Cheers
John T
Remove the wet from towill to reply
by email

David P 17-06-2003 07:43 PM

Plants disliked by rabbits

In article ,
says...
One I the few, in fact the only I have is Rock Rose.

Reminds me must look for more varieties.

Coming up the drive tonight reminds me I should add foxgloves to the list
- sometime I can't see what is there because it is so familiar.

BTW your .sig separator appeared at the very start of your post so my
reply to you may be a little odd in terms of quoted content.