GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   simple guide to plant disease (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32289-simple-guide-plant-disease.html)

Serenity 16-06-2003 04:09 PM

simple guide to plant disease

My daughter (7 but very bright) is doing a project on plants.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to plant disease and insect
infestation that is written for an ordinary person?

eg, The leaves go yellow and wilt, this is a virus. Dig up the plant and
feed the others. (or a slightly higher level)
Thank you big time.
Serenity

JennyC 16-06-2003 06:06 PM

simple guide to plant disease

"Serenity" serenity@nospamserenitynyespam off.fslife.co.uk wrote in
message ...
My daughter (7 but very bright) is doing a project on plants.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to plant disease and

insect
infestation that is written for an ordinary person?

eg, The leaves go yellow and wilt, this is a virus. Dig up the plant

and
feed the others. (or a slightly higher level)
Thank you big time.
Serenity

mmmmmmmm-complicated subject for a 7 year old :~)
Yellow wilted leaves, might be a virus, or overwatering, or
underwatering.............

However these might be useful:
http://www.gardenlinks.ndo.co.uk/childrens.htm
http://www.gardeningdata.co.uk/children_gardening.htm

Jenny

DaveDay34 16-06-2003 08:44 PM

simple guide to plant disease

My daughter (7 but very bright) is doing a project on plants.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide to plant disease and

insect
infestation that is written for an ordinary person?

eg, The leaves go yellow and wilt, this is a virus. Dig up the plant

and
feed the others. (or a slightly higher level)
Thank you big time.
Serenity

I'd suggest 'The Pocket Garden Troubles Expert' by Dr. D. G. Hessayon. All the
books in the range are good, but this one is what you need for your specific
requirements. It'll tell you in simple terms how to tell one
disease/pest/deficiency/etc. from another and how to treat it. All the books
are well and very simply written. Used by amateurs and professionals alike,
though some might not like to admit it.

Dave.

Serenity 18-06-2003 10:20 AM

simple guide to plant disease

Thank you to you both for the great ideas.