GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   froglets sticking on the paving (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32292-froglets-sticking-paving.html)

dave @ stejonda 17-06-2003 07:32 AM

froglets sticking on the paving

In message , Janet Baraclough
writes

Marital hazard alert..do check the age of the towel with Mme Stejonda
before offering it to frogs :~}

Correcto - 'No tenemos viejas toallas!!!' was the response.

So I used t-towels of which we have many - and it rained here last
night.

--
dave @ stejonda

Serena Blanchflower 17-06-2003 08:41 AM

froglets sticking on the paving

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 00:10:29 +0100, Victoria Clare
wrote:

When does a tadpole with legs become a frog with a tail?

I've always considered that there's an intermediate stage of frogpole to
cover the stage when they have both legs and a tail.

--
Cheers, Serena

Sometimes I sits and thinks ... and sometimes I just sits. (Punch cartoon)

Kay Easton 17-06-2003 01:44 PM

froglets sticking on the paving

In article 2,
Victoria Clare writes

There's 'boinging frog' which is a frog that has got inside the central
heating system but miraculously is still alive.

And 'Aaaagh frog', which is a frog that you thought was dead, then shot
straight up and hit you on the nose when you tried to pick it up.

Plus of course the well-known 'soapy frog' which is like an 'Aaagh frog'
but went off at an angle when you thought you had your hands round it.

There's also frog bouncing ...

http://www.cherryjam.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/cats/frog.htm
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Janet Baraclough 17-06-2003 08:56 PM

froglets sticking on the paving

The message
from Serena Blanchflower contains
these words:

wrote:

When does a tadpole with legs become a frog with a tail?

I've always considered that there's an intermediate stage of frogpole to
cover the stage when they have both legs and a tail.

Ah, tadpogs...

As a child, I used to consider mine had become frogs when their bodies
stopped being round blobs and got that squared off, angular shape..even
if they still have a bit of tail.

Janet.

martin 17-06-2003 08:56 PM

froglets sticking on the paving

wrote:

When does a tadpole with legs become a frog with a tail?

I've always considered that there's an intermediate stage of frogpole to
cover the stage when they have both legs and a tail.

Ah, tadpogs...

As a child, I used to consider mine had become frogs when their bodies
stopped being round blobs and got that squared off, angular shape..even
if they still have a bit of tail.

and when they turned into handsome princes when you kissed them?
--
martin

Sally Thompson 17-06-2003 11:32 PM

froglets sticking on the paving

On Mon, 16 Jun 2003 17:25:17 +0100, "dave @ stejonda"
wrote:

In message , H
writes
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond.

You could encourage some algae to grow on the paving and therefore it
wouldn't be such a froglet-magnet? Brush some yoghurt onto the slabs and
wait a few days....

ah, that's a good idea - wonder which flavour they'd like ;-)

and Bob, thanks - I'll be out hosing down the paving at sunset tonight
and making sure the newly installed towels are well damped

Good luck - but should we have little froglets by now? Ours are still
tadpoles (some of them pretty big, but still definitely tadpole
stage).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Mike 18-06-2003 07:20 PM

froglets sticking on the paving

OnTue, 17 Jun 2003 22:25:44 GMT, (Sally
Thompson) perspired gently and wrote:

snipped.
Good luck - but should we have little froglets by now? Ours are still
tadpoles (some of them pretty big, but still definitely tadpole
stage).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Here in N. Yorkshire we have spotted a couple of tadpoles in our pond
with newly formed legs .............. obviously not a record ;-)

There are four adults in the pond and loads of tadpoles. Can't imagine
what it will be like even if only half of them survive! Anyone know
what the survival rate is?

- - - -
Mike Peters

Drop the DROPME to reply by Email

ned 18-06-2003 09:44 PM

Mike wrote:
OnTue, 17 Jun 2003 22:25:44 GMT,

(Sally
Thompson) perspired gently and wrote:

snipped.
Good luck - but should we have little froglets by now? Ours are
still tadpoles (some of them pretty big, but still definitely
tadpole stage).

--
Sally in Shropshire, UK
Remove the LIZARD to email reply

Here in N. Yorkshire we have spotted a couple of tadpoles in our

pond
with newly formed legs .............. obviously not a record ;-)

There are four adults in the pond and loads of tadpoles. Can't

imagine
what it will be like even if only half of them survive! Anyone know
what the survival rate is?

Survival rate to maturity is very low - maybe 1%, but that's a
blessing, otherwise we would be chin deep in frogs.

--
ned

Pickle 19-06-2003 12:44 AM

froglets sticking on the paving

Survival rate to maturity is very low - maybe 1%, but that's a
blessing, otherwise we would be chin deep in frogs.

--
ned

The water boatmen in my pond have been depleting the tadpoles too. I saw 3
water boatmen simultaneously attack and drag down a little froglet that had
just jumped back into the water after being disturbed

Alan Gabriel 19-06-2003 01:44 AM

"Pickle" wrote in message

Survival rate to maturity is very low - maybe 1%, but that's a
blessing, otherwise we would be chin deep in frogs.

The water boatmen in my pond have been depleting the tadpoles too. I saw

3
water boatmen simultaneously attack and drag down a little froglet that

had
just jumped back into the water after being disturbed

When my son went to Primary school, I used to lend them frog spawn so they
could watch it turn into tadpoles and develop legs.

When they were returned, at the end of term, I put them back in the pond.

I was horrified to see Dragonfly larvae shoot out what like arms with boxing
gloves on, and rip these tadpoles to pieces.

It must be a very small percentage reach maturity. After about 15 years we
had about 15 pairs + some hopeful young males.

They are starting to build up numbers after a heron visited the pond, a few
years ago. We now have about 10 pairs.

--
Regards,
Alan.

Preserve wildlife - Pickle a SQUIRREL to reply.