Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

Default froglets sticking on the paving

For the last few mornings we''ve been waking up to the sad sight of
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond. I
assumed that these were just the ones too dumb to get back to the water
before drying out but yesterday my son noticed one whose feet appeared
to have stuck to the paving. It was struggling to get free and (good lad
that he is) he gently peeled it off and put in the water. We've now
spread out plastic bags on the paving around the slopes where the
froglets are emerging but still found a couple which had strayed further
and stuck.

Is this just natural selection which we should leave be? Do others find
these each year?

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
For the last few mornings we''ve been waking up to the sad sight of
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond. I
assumed that these were just the ones too dumb to get back to the water
before drying out but yesterday my son noticed one whose feet appeared
to have stuck to the paving. It was struggling to get free and (good lad
that he is) he gently peeled it off and put in the water. We've now
spread out plastic bags on the paving around the slopes where the
froglets are emerging but still found a couple which had strayed further
and stuck.

Is this just natural selection which we should leave be? Do others find
these each year?

If you want to encourage frogs in your pond, it is sensible to have some
vegetation close to one part of it so frogs can emerge and head straight
into that. If you have paving slabs all the way around for more than a
few inches width, it's inevitable that in how weather some of the
froglets aren't going to make it.

What they're doing atm is trying to get out of the water and into
undergrowth where they can forage - they are entering the terrestrial
phase of their life. So even if they are overheating, they are going to
feel quite a strong urge to go forward rather than back to the water
they are trying to get away from.

If you can't manage permanent vegetation, I wonder whether ir would be
worth a temporary 'bridge' of a few potted plants and something to give
shade?
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
David W.E. Roberts

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
For the last few mornings we''ve been waking up to the sad sight of
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond. I
assumed that these were just the ones too dumb to get back to the water
before drying out but yesterday my son noticed one whose feet appeared
to have stuck to the paving. It was struggling to get free and (good lad
that he is) he gently peeled it off and put in the water. We've now
spread out plastic bags on the paving around the slopes where the
froglets are emerging but still found a couple which had strayed further
and stuck.

Is this just natural selection which we should leave be? Do others find
these each year?

--
dave @ stejonda

We have had this problem - best thing we found was an old towel with one end
dipped in the pond so there was a damp pathway for them to travel.

Last couple of years there have been no crispy froglets which is making us
think that the fish have grown large enough to ingest tadpoles.

Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , Kay Easton
writes

If you want to encourage frogs in your pond, it is sensible to have some
vegetation close to one part of it so frogs can emerge and head straight
into that.

I don't have paving all the way round. At the rear I have overhanging
slate then on one side there's a gently sloped stone-filled 'stream'
from the filter outlet and on the other side just a gentle slope of
stones. Froglets seem to be emerging on both sides but more on the
simple slope side. There is a big patch of untamed strawberry plants
right by the stream side providing ample cover and foraging material for
them. (I thought it might also keep the strawberries slug-free.) I'll
add some cover on the other side to provide a route into a nearby bed.

If you have paving slabs all the way around for more than a
few inches width, it's inevitable that in how weather some of the
froglets aren't going to make it.

Although most of the casualties appear overnight which suggests it isn't
just the hot weather.

What they're doing atm is trying to get out of the water and into
undergrowth where they can forage - they are entering the terrestrial
phase of their life. So even if they are overheating, they are going to
feel quite a strong urge to go forward rather than back to the water
they are trying to get away from.

Point acknowledged. Thanks Kay.

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
Kay Easton

In article , dave @ stejonda
writes
In message , Kay Easton
writes

If you want to encourage frogs in your pond, it is sensible to have some
vegetation close to one part of it so frogs can emerge and head straight
into that.

I don't have paving all the way round. At the rear I have overhanging
slate then on one side there's a gently sloped stone-filled 'stream'
from the filter outlet and on the other side just a gentle slope of
stones. Froglets seem to be emerging on both sides but more on the
simple slope side. There is a big patch of untamed strawberry plants
right by the stream side providing ample cover and foraging material for
them. (I thought it might also keep the strawberries slug-free.) I'll
add some cover on the other side to provide a route into a nearby bed.

Or see if there is a way to encourage more of them to emerge on the
'safe' side? More pond plant cover that side, perhaps? Ours seem to
emerge primarily up near the waterfall that is the input to the pond -
there's a lot of vegetation there - water forget-me-not, a small pond
sedge and so on.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:

Old 16-06-2003, 05:09 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes
We have had this problem - best thing we found was an old towel with
one end dipped in the pond so there was a damp pathway for them to
travel.

....off to find an old towel...

Old 16-06-2003, 05:11 PM
JennyC

"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , David W.E.

Roberts
writes
Last couple of years there have been no crispy froglets

OMG 'Crunchy Frog'

Jenny "~)

Old 16-06-2003, 07:06 PM
Sue & Bob Hobden

"dave wrote in message ...
For the last few mornings we''ve been waking up to the sad sight of
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond. I
assumed that these were just the ones too dumb to get back to the water
before drying out but yesterday my son noticed one whose feet appeared
to have stuck to the paving. It was struggling to get free and (good lad
that he is) he gently peeled it off and put in the water. We've now
spread out plastic bags on the paving around the slopes where the
froglets are emerging but still found a couple which had strayed further
and stuck.

Is this just natural selection which we should leave be? Do others find
these each year?

It is so hot and dry at the moment, that is the problem, their little wet
slimy feet are gluing themselves to the super dry concrete. Try giving the
concrete a good spray/soaking every evening which will wet it and cool it
down.
Oh, and don't try unsticking the little things without a thorough wetting
first or you could just pull the skin off their feet.
--
Regards
Bob

Use a useful Screen Saver...
http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/
and find intelligent life amongst the stars, there's bugger all down here.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:06 PM

numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond.

You could encourage some algae to grow on the paving and therefore it
wouldn't be such a froglet-magnet? Brush some yoghurt onto the slabs and
wait a few days....

- h

Old 16-06-2003, 07:06 PM
dave @ stejonda

In message , H
writes
numerous desiccated froglets on the paving around our (1st year) pond.

You could encourage some algae to grow on the paving and therefore it
wouldn't be such a froglet-magnet? Brush some yoghurt onto the slabs and
wait a few days....

ah, that's a good idea - wonder which flavour they'd like ;-)

and Bob, thanks - I'll be out hosing down the paving at sunset tonight
and making sure the newly installed towels are well damped

--
dave @ stejonda
Old 16-06-2003, 11:32 PM
William Tasso

JennyC wrote:
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Last couple of years there have been no crispy froglets ............

OMG 'Crunchy Frog'

There's another type?

--
William Tasso

Old 17-06-2003, 01:22 AM
Victoria Clare

"William Tasso" wrote in news:bclclu$jd112$1@ID-
139074.news.dfncis.de:

OMG 'Crunchy Frog'

There's another type?

There's 'boinging frog' which is a frog that has got inside the central
heating system but miraculously is still alive.

And 'Aaaagh frog', which is a frog that you thought was dead, then shot
straight up and hit you on the nose when you tried to pick it up.

Plus of course the well-known 'soapy frog' which is like an 'Aaagh frog'
but went off at an angle when you thought you had your hands round it.

All subdivisions of crunchy frog, perhaps, but subtly different...

When does a tadpole with legs become a frog with a tail?

Victoria
Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "dave @ stejonda" contains these words:

In message , David W.E. Roberts
writes
We have had this problem - best thing we found was an old towel with
one end dipped in the pond so there was a damp pathway for them to
travel.

...off to find an old towel...

Marital hazard alert..do check the age of the towel with Mme Stejonda
before offering it to frogs :~}

Janet
Old 17-06-2003, 07:30 AM
JennyC

"William Tasso" wrote in message
JennyC wrote:
"dave @ stejonda" wrote in message
In message , David W.E.
Roberts writes
Last couple of years there have been no crispy froglets

OMG 'Crunchy Frog'

There's another type?
William Tasso

Read all about it:
http://www.stone-dead.asn.au/tv-seri...unchy-frog.htm

Or listen (if you have a fast connection!)
http://chixlinx.homestead.com/MontyPythonFiles.html

Jenny :~))))

More Froglets to Come? Jake United Kingdom 2 06-08-2012 10:22 AM
froglets in the bog! kathy Ponds 0 10-06-2005 05:46 AM
roots sticking out of drainage holes + ant problem hjl Gardening 4 01-05-2004 05:14 AM
Froglets - Green or Bull is the question Heather Ponds 1 22-08-2003 07:09 AM
Honda Harmony HRM215SDA - Carb. Float Sticking? Jason Lawns 4 31-05-2003 03:56 PM