Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Ian Cundell

Default Birch - over or under watered?

I have a multi stemmed Silver Birch (Betula Pendula) that I planted last
September. It is around 15 feet tall.

It started growing very nicely in April.

However, over tha last two weeks leaves have been yellowing.

I thought I might have overwatered it, because I was conscious that we
had had very little rain (I'm in Herts) so had an 'if in doubt give it a
soak' policy.

So I cut back to a once-a-week regime, but it does not seem to be
settling.

So is there an easy way to tell what the problem is?

And what is the best course of action to protect the tree?

I have a Betula Utilis 'Snow Queen' that is thriving on a similar
watering regime.

Cheers,

Ian

--

"I go online sometimes, but...everyone's spelling is really bad,
and...it's depressing"
Old 16-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Chris French and Helen Johnson

In message , Ian
Cundell writes
I have a multi stemmed Silver Birch (Betula Pendula) that I planted last
September. It is around 15 feet tall.

It started growing very nicely in April.

However, over tha last two weeks leaves have been yellowing.

I thought I might have overwatered it, because I was conscious that we
had had very little rain (I'm in Herts) so had an 'if in doubt give it a
soak' policy.

So I cut back to a once-a-week regime, but it does not seem to be
settling.

I doubt that you could really over water a tree of that size very
easily.

It might be the dry weather we have had, I noticed the other day a
number of birch leaves on the ground at the end of the garden - fallen
of the large birch between us and the neighbours, I wondered if it might
have been the dry weather.

An bear in mind that the tree won't have developed a large root system
yet .
--
Chris French and Helen Johnson, Leeds
urg Suppliers and References FAQ:
Old 17-06-2003, 11:32 AM
Ian Cundell

In article ,
Chris French and Helen Johnson wrote:

In message , Ian
Cundell writes
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. I went down to Ayletts and they concur. I looks
like I seriously over-estimated the amount of rain we had last month. I
spent part of yesterday cutting the grass line back a bit and that was
bloody hard work it was so dry.

So I've given it a good soak and a foliar feed. Will see what happens.

Old 17-06-2003, 02:08 PM
Kostas Kavoussanakis

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Ian Cundell wrote:

So I've given it a good soak and a foliar feed. Will see what happens.

Not sure it is a good idea to feed a plant under stress (but can't
remember where I read that). Leave them to pick up a little bit.

Kostas