Old 16-06-2003, 04:09 PM
Peacock

Default Whats the oldest garden you have been to?

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Cheers

Paul P
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Bigjon

Peacock declared:

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Cheers

Paul P

Haddon Hall in Bakewell, derbyshire.
The present building and grounds date from as far back as the 12th Century,
the first recorded owner being Richard de vernon in 1187, although a house
was recorded there in 1087 in the doomsday book. Originally it was mainly a
vegetable and fruit garden and has a lovely raised walled garden as well as
a surrounding terraces. The gardens were totally renovated in the 1920's I
believe, but they are still in line with the original documented scheme.
The Hall is a great day out, and is itself mostly intact and viewable in
its medieval condition...
--
You can't have it all -
Where would you put it ?
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Andrew

In article ,
"Peacock" wrote:

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Fishbourne Roman Palace near Chichester has a re-created Roman garden
(or did have). Not far off, the Weald and Downland Open Air Museum
(*fantastic* place) has some re-created medieval gardens around their
Bayleaf farmhouse. "Real" gardens? Bits of Hatfield House are early 17th
century designed by John Tradescant and Hampton Court's pretty old.
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Kate Morgan

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Sudeley Castle, Winchcombe, Gloucestershire last week, I wasnt too
impressed but it was hard to judge as all the gardeners were working
like fury to get ready for some filming that is taking place this
Wednesday.All the empty ground has no doubt been filled up by now with
bedding plants. They were looking for people to go and dead head all the
roses, now theres a pleasant job on a sunny afternoon.
kate
Old 16-06-2003, 06:06 PM
Mike

In article , Kate Morgan
writes

They were looking for people to go and dead head all the
roses, now theres a pleasant job on a sunny afternoon.
kate

Would this be on the same scheme of the 'Friends of Ventnor Botanical
Gardens' at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. Those who are keen to help,
volunteer their services for free :-))

They also collect all the seeds for the 'free distribution of seeds' to
the Friends/members (That is a wonderful list to chose from and anyone
interested, it would be worth the membership fee just for that!!!!)

Mike

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 16-06-2003, 07:20 PM
BAC

"Bigjon" wrote in message
. ..
Peacock declared:

Hi,

I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Cheers

Paul P

Haddon Hall in Bakewell, derbyshire.
The present building and grounds date from as far back as the 12th

Century,
the first recorded owner being Richard de vernon in 1187, although a house
was recorded there in 1087 in the doomsday book. Originally it was mainly

vegetable and fruit garden and has a lovely raised walled garden as well

as
a surrounding terraces. The gardens were totally renovated in the 1920's I
believe, but they are still in line with the original documented scheme.
The Hall is a great day out, and is itself mostly intact and viewable in
its medieval condition...

You beat me to it - Haddon's about the oldest actual garden I can recall.
And the view down to the River Wye from the surviving part is great. People
who don't find Haddon Hall and garden enough to fill a day out could always
move on to Chatsworth, a few miles away - the gardens there are magnificent,
especially the water features.

Old 16-06-2003, 07:21 PM
Kate Morgan

They were looking for people to go and dead head all the
roses, now theres a pleasant job on a sunny afternoon.
kate

Would this be on the same scheme of the 'Friends of Ventnor Botanical
Gardens' at Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. Those who are keen to help,
volunteer their services for free :-))

Dont think so, I think it was pure and simple panic before the cameras
come :-)
Old 17-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Adam

Peacock,
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, you wrote:
I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Eden... but I did go in its first week.

Interesting fauna too. [The fruit gardens were closed though]

--
Adam
Old 17-06-2003, 11:56 AM
Peacock

Thanks Adam. I was wondering where you had got to.

Has anyone been to a pre 1066 garden?
----------
In article ], Adam wrote:

Peacock,

Old 17-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Martin Richards

"Peacock" wrote
Has anyone been to a pre 1066 garden?

I'd have to say fishbourne again - last time I checked the history books,
the romans beat the normans here by a fair margin ;-)

Not really a garden, but just up the road from there, Butser Hill ancient
farm is an ongoing experiment in to all apsects if Bronze Age living, so
pre-dates even fishbourne - see http://www.butser.org.uk/

Martin

Old 17-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Janet Baraclough

The message ]
from Adam contains these words:

Peacock,
On Mon, 16 Jun 2003, you wrote:
I was wondering which were the oldest gardens people have been tp?

Eden... but I did go in its first week.

Interesting fauna too. [The fruit gardens were closed though]

--
Adam

Pity you and Eve didn't keep your heads down until television arrived.
Who knows, today's audiences might have enjoyed your gardening
programmes so much, they'd vote for you not to be expelled.

Janet
Old 18-06-2003, 10:32 AM
Adam

Janet Baraclough,
On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, you wrote:
Pity you and Eve didn't keep your heads down until television
arrived. Who knows, today's audiences might have enjoyed your gardening
programmes so much, they'd vote for you not to be expelled.

A missed opportunity. I can see it now "The Naked Gardeners".

Ahh well, what with all the hassle with the kids, we wouldn't have had
the time.

--
Adam