Old 17-06-2003, 04:56 PM
Mike P.

Default Turf on Turf

My lawn has not chance of recovering from years of misunderstanding on my
part, now that I am a bit wiser & more caring I would like to know is can I
lay new turf on top of the old turf, if so how much new topsoil (depth)
would I need to lay the new turf on?.

Having built a wall all around my lawn I could raise the height of the lawn
by about 6".

If it is possible to do this can I lay down matting (the stuff you buy on a
roll) before putting down the topsoil to prevent the old weeds getting
through or would this inhibit the new turf I lay?.

Mike P.

Old 22-06-2003, 11:20 AM
Laurie Moseley

It's perfectly possible to lay turf on top of turf, at least in our relatively
high rainfall area (Forest of Dean). We have used this to level a sharply
sloping lawn. We got the turf from creating new flower beds from the lawn in
another part of the garden. The turf which we cut was at least two inches deep.
That meant that it was able to care of itself (perhaps unlike some commercial
turf which is much thinner).

Even with thinner replacement turf, if you place soil on top of the existing
lawn (and firm it down well and level it) then place the new thin turf on it,
the new stuff will have something to root in to.

Do NOT put a geotextile over the existing lawn. These fabrics are useful
because they prevent things rooting through them, which is the opposite of what
you want.

One last thing. The thinner the turf you lay, the more you will have to attend
to watering. However, in our experience, grass will grow more or less anywhere
and anyway, whatever you do to it.

Good luck with the new lawn !

Janet Cone
Laurie (Laurence) Moseley

Plus Ultra

Expert Systems, Decision-Making, Argentinian Tango & Golf

Organic Turf / Pesticide Free Turf Mj62 Lawns 7 06-02-2011 06:57 PM
Turf on top of turf flashman Lawns 5 09-03-2006 10:10 PM
New turf lawn - joins and turf quality Muzz United Kingdom 0 30-06-2005 01:08 PM
Suggest good turf grass installation company? Dan Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
Turf needed GGJ United Kingdom 3 20-02-2003 02:09 PM