Old 17-06-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Wood pigeons

Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

Old 17-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Paul D.Smith

Try hanging CDs (those nice people from AOL supply most of mine ;-) ) around
the garden from bits of string. The reflections seem to worry them. It
certainly worked on my trees last year.

Paul DS.

Old 17-06-2003, 07:43 PM
The Devil's Advocate

We have to net everything the eat. Wouldn't like to poison them

--
http://www.bushwatch.com/bushlies.htm
"K" wrote in message
: Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
: destroying everything new I plant in my garden.
:
:

Old 17-06-2003, 08:20 PM
hedgehog

I feed mine - they do no damage; but then there's only 2 of them.

"The Devil's Advocate" wrote in
message ...

Old 17-06-2003, 09:30 PM
Registered User

Location: London

so do i, i feed mine too ocassionally. Likewise only 2 though

Old 17-06-2003, 11:23 PM
Michael Berridge

K wrote in message
Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

You will have to contact the local council and see if they can offer any
help. You certainly cannot put out any kind of poison yourself as you
would inevitably get other birds, which would be illegal.

Mike
www.british-naturism.org.uk

Old 18-06-2003, 01:26 PM
DaveDay34

You will have to contact the local council and see if they can offer any
help. You certainly cannot put out any kind of poison yourself as you
would inevitably get other birds, which would be illegal.

I'd suggest that if you're reasonably out the way you find someone with an
appropriate air rifle who's a good shot and make the end very quick if you're
planning on killing the pigeons.

Dave.
Old 19-06-2003, 12:56 PM

"K" wrote in message
Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

A number of years ago wood pigeons and crows were not protected in the UK.
If you are not too close to a highway you could have them shot or shoot them
yourself.
Failing that redundant Cds are used as a deterrent by a number of people in
our village-they seem to work (they did last year and have been OK so far
this year)
The discs are hung about 18" above the ground from strings between canes
about one every 1-2 yards. To me they give an uncanny feeling of something
moving in the background as you walk by them.
I have noticed that robins and blackbirds dont seem to mind them.
In an earlier post I mentioned that reflectors were being used in Australia
to deter local crows from nesting on the top of telegraph poles.
David T.

Old 18-07-2003, 12:03 AM
Alan Holmes

"K" wrote in message
Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

I have a problem with squirrels in my garden and have a trap to catch them,
one day I'd baited the trap with peanuts and found the peanuts had attracted
a pidgeon.

So go to Mole Valley Farmers, branches in the somerset area and buy a
mink/rat trap.

Alan

Old 18-07-2003, 07:52 AM
martin

On Thu, 17 Jul 2003 23:57:35 +0100, "Alan Holmes"
wrote:

"K" wrote in message
Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

Tome Lehrer 1958.......
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park
I'd like to take you now on wings of song as it were, and try and help
you forget, perhaps, for a while, your drab wretched lives. Here is a
song all about springtime in general, and in particular about one of
the many delightful pastimes that the coming of spring affords us all.

Spring is here, a-suh-puh-ring is here.
Life is skittles and life is beer.
I think the loveliest time of the year is the spring.
I do, don't you? 'Course you do.
But there's one thing that makes spring complete for me,
And makes every Sunday a treat for me.

All the world seems in tune
On a spring afternoon,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.
Every Sunday you'll see
My sweetheart and me,
As we poison the pigeons in the park.

When they see us coming, the birdies all try an' hide,
But they still go for peanuts when coated with cyanide.
The sun's shining bright,
Everything seems all right,
When we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We've gained notoriety,
And caused much anxiety
In the Audubon Society
With our games.
They call it impiety
And lack of propriety,
And quite a variety
Of unpleasant names.
But it's not against any religion
To want to dispose of a pigeon.

So if Sunday you're free,
Why don't you come with me,
And we'll poison the pigeons in the park.
And maybe we'll do
In a squirrel or two,
While we're poisoning pigeons in the park.

We'll murder them all amid laughter and merriment,
Except for the few we take home to experiment.
My pulse will be quickenin'
With each drop of strych'nine
We feed to a pigeon.
(It just takes a smidgin!)
To poison a pigeon in the park.

--
martin

Old 18-07-2003, 10:16 PM
Mary Fisher

"K" wrote in message
Can any one advise of a source for poison to kill pigeons that are
destroying everything new I plant in my garden.

Tome Lehrer 1958.......
Poisoning Pigeons in the Park

snip a favourite

Trouble with that is that if you poison them you can't eat them.

I have free range hens and grow vegetables, we are also visited by rock
doves (street pigeons), wood pigeons and collar doves. All of them would
destroy vegetables, especially when they're young.

So Spouse made modular steel framed chicken wired hurdles, they are put
round the veg. plots and during vulnerable times netting is placed over the
tops of the hurdles.

Our hens have the freedom of the rest of the garden, the vegetables grow in
runs. It works.

Of course, when the veg plants are tall and sturdy the hurdles can be
removed, the hens then fertilise the soil and keep it more or less weed-free
by scratching. They don't bother with adult runner beans, courgettes,
sprouts, cabbages (well they snip the edges of the leaves but I don't
begrudge them), potatoes or other sturdy plants. Nor do the pigeons. Salad
crops need protection at all times.

By rotating crops only one or two plots are protected all year round each
year, the others are manured - and as a bonus the hens pick off caterpillars
and grown insects as well as some slugs and snails.

Mary

Old 18-07-2003, 10:50 PM
David Hill

Many many years ago when I was just a lad we had an old Goose which did very
little to earn its keep, then one day there it was Dead.
It so happened that we were plagued with pigeons on cabbage, despite having
a carbide "Banger" bird scarer working up to 16 hours a day.
We had read of using wings outspread to frighten the pigeons so "Charlie"
at last had a use.
The wings were fastened to a plank to look like a bird in flight.
This was then suspended from a pole set at an angle with a loose cord to the
ground to keep the wings the right angle.
And didn't it work.
We moved it every week or so and they lasted a couple of years.
At their demise we made the same shape from aluminium and they worked.

Over the years I have seen similar things offered for sale sometimes
suspended from a gas filled balloon.

See

http://www.hawkbirdscarer.com/FAQ's.htm

http://www.trap-man.com/decoy-bird-scarers.htm

http://www.thezapper.co.uk/acatalog/...roducts_4.html

--
David Hill
Abacus nurseries

Old 25-07-2003, 12:22 AM

wrote:

"K" wrote in message
[...]

obviously Martin has not experienced problems with wood pigeons.
Myself and neighbours have found CD reflections are an effective deterrent
for pigeons but not thrushes, blackbirds or robins.
Redundant discs can be hung around a vegetable or nursery patch without
being too unsightly-we discussed their use in the group earlier this year.
Regards
David T.

Old 04-02-2013, 03:30 AM
Registered User

Post

Hi I have had quite a lot of problems with different types of birds.
Pigeons are just one that hang around my house and eat the lawn seed that I throw down.

I was so annoyed at these birds that I made a website where people can go and see what works, for what and what doesnt.

Scarecrow Vs Birds.com ← Reviews of domestic bird scarer and bird control methods

Regards,

Joehann

How to annoy the pigeons? Steve Harris United Kingdom 25 03-06-2018 07:37 AM
Pigeons kathryn Gardening 4 12-04-2006 08:47 PM
Greedy Wood Pigeons Jupiter United Kingdom 28 13-05-2005 10:36 AM
Feed the birds - except pigeons! Paul D.Smith United Kingdom 13 11-02-2005 10:10 PM
Pigeons [email protected] United Kingdom 16 05-06-2003 09:19 AM