GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Chives (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32629-chives.html)

The Reid 17-06-2003 07:43 PM

Chives

Chives in second year are producing lots of flowers and looking a bit
tatty, how should they be treated to best get good crops in future, or
is it best to grow again from seed each year? Is it best to cut all
the leaves from a plant then let it regrow, or what?
--
Mike Reid
"Art is the lie that reveals the truth" P.Picasso

Nick Maclaren 17-06-2003 07:43 PM

Chives

In article ,
The Reid wrote:
Chives in second year are producing lots of flowers and looking a bit
tatty, how should they be treated to best get good crops in future, or
is it best to grow again from seed each year? Is it best to cut all
the leaves from a plant then let it regrow, or what?

Keep them damp. They don't like the weather. Chives like cool,
damp conditions. Cutting off the flowers makes them produce more
leaves, but the weather makes more difference.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

The Reid 17-06-2003 07:43 PM

Chives

Following up to Nick Maclaren

Keep them damp. They don't like the weather. Chives like cool,
damp conditions. Cutting off the flowers makes them produce more
leaves, but the weather makes more difference.

thanks, I'm getting a theme here, all my problems seem to relate to
dryness, having loam over gravel has its advantages and its drawbacks!

Nick Maclaren 17-06-2003 09:46 PM

Chives

In article ,
The Reid wrote:
Following up to Nick Maclaren

Keep them damp. They don't like the weather. Chives like cool,
damp conditions. Cutting off the flowers makes them produce more
leaves, but the weather makes more difference.

thanks, I'm getting a theme here, all my problems seem to relate to
dryness, having loam over gravel has its advantages and its drawbacks!

I gave up growing them - my garden is 60% sand in Cambridge. They
never thrived.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Janet Baraclough 17-06-2003 11:32 PM

Chives

The message
from The Reid contains these words:

Chives in second year are producing lots of flowers and looking a bit
tatty, how should they be treated to best get good crops in future, or
is it best to grow again from seed each year? Is it best to cut all
the leaves from a plant then let it regrow, or what?

You can't get much wetter than 70" a year, and chives always flower
here too, so I don't think it's caused by dryness. At that stage I
usually shear them down to ground level, then get a second crop of
tender leaves. They grow from bulbs and last forever, but you'll get the
best crops if you divide the clumps every couple of years and replant in
small bunches. They make a good edge to veg garden paths.

Janet.

Drakanthus 18-06-2003 08:44 PM

Chives

You can't get much wetter than 70" a year, and chives always flower
here too, so I don't think it's caused by dryness. At that stage I
usually shear them down to ground level, then get a second crop of
tender leaves. They grow from bulbs and last forever, but you'll get the
best crops if you divide the clumps every couple of years and replant in
small bunches. They make a good edge to veg garden paths.

Janet.

We grow them in small clumps here and there in the flower beds, getting a
regular supply of fresh chives until they flower. The flowers are quite
attractive too. Every few years we just split the clumps. A never ending
supply of fresh chives.

--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)

The Reid 19-06-2003 08:34 AM

Chives

Following up to Drakanthus