GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Tree Peony (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/32837-tree-peony.html)

Mark 18-06-2003 07:08 PM

Tree Peony

Can anybody help me with the care of my Tree Peony. I bought it at the
latter part of last season when it was just a six inch woody twig in a pot.

I re-planted it in a larger pot and this year I have had new growth, a
single stem growing from my twig that has had one bloom. The petals from
this flower fell off last month and left what I describe as a crown of seed
pods. So what do I do next, are these seed pods? do I need to cut the plant
back? what is the next step?

Roscoe 18-06-2003 09:20 PM

Tree Peony

"Mark" wrote in a message:..
Can anybody help me with the care of my Tree Peony. . The petals from
this flower fell off last month and left what I describe as a crown of

seed
pods. So what do I do next, are these seed pods? do I need to cut the
plant back? what is the next step?
---------------

Hi Mark, yes they are indeed seed pods. Leave them on your plant and come
the autumn the pods will dry and split open revealing black, sticky
seeds which you can then sow in pots containing a sandy compost. Tree peony
seeds take quite a while to germinate, often more than a year so be patient!
Don't cut your tree peony back, let it grow. The leaves will fall away in
the late autumn.

Roscoe

Rodger Whitlock 19-06-2003 06:24 AM

Tree Peony

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 23:16:35 +0100, Roscoe wrote:

"Mark" wrote in a message:..
Can anybody help me with the care of my Tree Peony. . The petals from
this flower fell off last month and left what I describe as a crown of
seed
pods. So what do I do next, are these seed pods? do I need to cut the
plant back? what is the next step?

Hi Mark, yes they are indeed seed pods. Leave them on your plant and come
the autumn the pods will dry and split open revealing black, sticky
seeds which you can then sow in pots containing a sandy compost. Tree peony
seeds take quite a while to germinate, often more than a year so be patient!
Don't cut your tree peony back, let it grow. The leaves will fall away in
the late autumn.

I wouldn't let a young plant set seed, myself.

For the OP, no, don't cut your plant back. It is likely grafted
on a rootstock of a herbaceous peony and you may, if not careful,
cut away all the tree peony tissue.

Best thing to do is plant it out. Make sure the site allows it
room to grow: tree peonies get about six feet wide if happy.

--
Rodger Whitlock
Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Mark 20-06-2003 07:56 AM

Tree Peony

Hello Rodger,

If mine is indeed a grafted Tree Peony does that mean it's not going to look
like a tree at all. The label from the garden centre indicates a height of
3m which made me assume together with it's name that it would be a
decorative flowering tree.

From your posting should I expect more of a tall rounded 3m bush?

Mark

Mike Lyle 20-06-2003 09:32 PM

Tree Peony

"Mark" wrote in message ...
Hello Rodger,

If mine is indeed a grafted Tree Peony does that mean it's not going to look
like a tree at all. The label from the garden centre indicates a height of
3m which made me assume together with it's name that it would be a
decorative flowering tree.

From your posting should I expect more of a tall rounded 3m bush?

I'll be seriously impressed if it makes 3m: I don't think I've ever
seen a shrubby peony more than 6ft (sorry: 2m!) high. And I don't
think any of them make tree-shaped trees, either: aren't they all
multi-stemmed shrubs? But you don't tell us the species or variety, so
perhaps that will shed light on my darkness. I'd guess it's almost
certainly grafted: I believe they're dodgy to propagate by cuttings,
though I haven't tried.

Mike.

Thos 21-06-2003 12:32 PM

Tree Peony

sorry to but in and brag but my tree peony is at least 8ft tall and is like
a multi stemmed shrub
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"Mark" wrote in message

Hello Rodger,

If mine is indeed a grafted Tree Peony does that mean it's not going to

look
like a tree at all. The label from the garden centre indicates a height

of
3m which made me assume together with it's name that it would be a
decorative flowering tree.

From your posting should I expect more of a tall rounded 3m bush?

Sacha 21-06-2003 01:20 PM

Tree Peony

in article , Thos at
wrote on 21/6/03 12:24 pm:

sorry to but in and brag but my tree peony is at least 8ft tall and is like
a multi stemmed shrub
"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
m...
"Mark" wrote in message

Hello Rodger,

If mine is indeed a grafted Tree Peony does that mean it's not going to

look
like a tree at all. The label from the garden centre indicates a height

of
3m which made me assume together with it's name that it would be a
decorative flowering tree.

From your posting should I expect more of a tall rounded 3m bush?

I'll be seriously impressed if it makes 3m: I don't think I've ever
seen a shrubby peony more than 6ft (sorry: 2m!) high. And I don't
think any of them make tree-shaped trees, either: aren't they all
multi-stemmed shrubs? But you don't tell us the species or variety, so
perhaps that will shed light on my darkness. I'd guess it's almost
certainly grafted: I believe they're dodgy to propagate by cuttings,
though I haven't tried.

Mike.

Our Paeonia lutea is about 8' tall now and was severely cut back last year.
But a tree, it ain't. ;-) It's as mis-leading as people talking about tree
Lupins. Shrubby would be better.
--

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk