Old 19-06-2003, 09:08 AM
Janice

Default Catnip Alternative

Is there a plant that looks like catnip but isn't catnip? I don't want to
attract even more cats to my garden, but I love the cascading, bluish spires
of nepeta.

Thanks.

Old 19-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Pam Moore

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:03:47 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Is there a plant that looks like catnip but isn't catnip? I don't want to
attract even more cats to my garden, but I love the cascading, bluish spires
of nepeta.

How about perovskia? Taller but similar coulouring.

Pam in Bristol
Old 21-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Charlie Pridham

"Pam Moore" wrote in message
On Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:03:47 +0100, "Janice" wrote:

Is there a plant that looks like catnip but isn't catnip? I don't want

attract even more cats to my garden, but I love the cascading, bluish

spires
of nepeta.

How about perovskia? Taller but similar coulouring.

Pam in Bristol

and (others may disagree!) Nepeta "Six Hills Giant" I have 4 cats and they
don't bother it
--
Charlie, gardening in Cornwall.
http://www.roselandhouse.co.uk

Old 21-06-2003, 08:20 PM
Janice

That's interesting, Charlie, as I had read somewhere that some types of
catnip were not cat magnets. The Six Hills Giant is the one I like the look
of so maybe I should give one a try and see what happens.

Best regards.

Old 22-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Jim W

Janice wrote:

That's interesting, Charlie, as I had read somewhere that some types of
catnip were not cat magnets. The Six Hills Giant is the one I like the look
of so maybe I should give one a try and see what happens.

Best regards.

"Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
and (others may disagree!) Nepeta "Six Hills Giant" I have 4 cats and they

don't bother it

Hey hey folks.. Don't confuse Nepata cataria with other nepetas. Yes
some do contain similar nepetalactones but not all Nepetas are catnips.
Recently discovered to be 10 times stonger than DEET for repelling
mossies incidentally.

//
Jim

Old 22-06-2003, 01:44 PM
Janice

Hi, Jim. Does the Six Hills Giant type of nepeta attract cats, do you know?
Its botanical name is Nepeta x faassenii 'Six Hills Giant'.

Hmm, which are worse -- mossies or cats?!

Many thanks.

"Jim W" wrote in message
news:1fwyfvh.154fi21qf1uf4N%00senetnospamtodayta@m acunlimited.net...

Old 22-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Jim W

Janice wrote:

Hi, Jim. Does the Six Hills Giant type of nepeta attract cats, do you know?
Its botanical name is Nepeta x faassenii 'Six Hills Giant'.

Hmm, which are worse -- mossies or cats?!

Many thanks.

Depends on your point of view.. Cats aren't responsible for so many
deaths each year.

To my knowledge Six Hills is not a major attractant to cats..
//
Jim
Old 23-06-2003, 08:20 AM
Charlie Pridham

"Janice" wrote in message
Hi, Jim. Does the Six Hills Giant type of nepeta attract cats, do you

know?
Its botanical name is Nepeta x faassenii 'Six Hills Giant'.

Hey hey folks.. Don't confuse Nepata cataria with other nepetas. Yes
some do contain similar nepetalactones but not all Nepetas are catnips.
Recently discovered to be 10 times stonger than DEET for repelling
mossies incidentally.

//
Jim

Hmm, which are worse -- mossies or cats?!

Many thanks.

Visions of cats buzzing around someones head :~) make them even less popular
I reckon!

Catnip! Jeßus Australia 2 25-09-2003 07:22 AM
trouble with catnip five of four Plant Science 5 17-09-2003 03:53 AM
Catnip John DeBoo Edible Gardening 9 09-08-2003 08:02 PM
growing catnip indoors Jessica Gardening 4 16-06-2003 09:32 PM
Introducing "CATNIP AND KEROSENE GRASS" Evar Grieg Gardening 0 04-03-2003 01:27 AM