Old 19-06-2003, 02:32 PM
Charles Thorpe

Default Small black flying beetles

Yesterday I got swarms of small beetles (?) in the garden. They're about 1
to 1.5 mm long, black wing cases (the wings seem to protude out of the back
of the cases, but my eyes aren't what they were!).

They like my helianthemum flowers and seem to snip off the petals shortly
after new flowers open with the result that a very bright and cheerful
plant now has no flowers! They are abolutely mad about rocket flowers
though, there are thousands of them on a couple of clumps.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA.

p.s. Just been out in the garden and there are thousands of them in a lily
flower thats just opened.
--
Regards, Charles

cthorp at globalnet dot co dot uk
"I really cannot tolerate intolerance"
Old 21-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Dwayne

Dont know what they are, but they got onto my cabbage produce. If you try
to catch one, it seems to jump away. I sprayed them with a good insect
spray that had, and now they are gone. The spray sayss you can use it up to
8 hours of harvesting.

Dwayne

Old 22-06-2003, 12:32 PM
Jill Bell

In message , Charles Thorpe
writes
Yesterday I got swarms of small beetles (?) in the garden. They're about 1
to 1.5 mm long, black wing cases (the wings seem to protude out of the back
of the cases, but my eyes aren't what they were!).

Possibly pollen beetles. Round here they start appearing when the rape
is in flower and then move on to assorted garden plants as the rape runs
to seed. Sweet peas are a favourite:-( They also seem very keen on
anything that is yellow........ and are quite happy to swarm on items of
yellow washing when it's hung out to dry.

Jill
--

http://www.bellsbarn.demon.co.uk
(Gardens, geraniums and photographs)