Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Coffea ramosa

Default chicken manure

Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and manure
for my plants..

Old 19-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Mike

In article , Coffea ramosa
writes
Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and manure
for my plants..

Possibly the egg plant? ;-}

Forthcoming reunions.
British Pacific Fleet Hayling Island Sept 5th - 8th
Castle Class Corvettes Assn. Isle of Wight. Oct 3rd - 6th.
R.N. Trafalgar Weekend Leamington Spa. Oct 10th - 13th. Plus many more

Old 20-06-2003, 01:32 AM
Janet Baraclough

The message
from "Coffea ramosa" contains these words:

Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and manure
for my plants..

Remember, wild birds also carry salmonella in their gut and drop
manure on gardens. Salmonella does not harm plants, but it's not a good
idea to put fresh neat chicken manure on/near them anyway. It's much too
strong and can damage roots.It's a brilliant compost accelerator so the
best method of using the manure is to add it to your compost heap. The
main salmonella hazard from home hens is from bad handling by the
owner...letting eggs get mucky or cracked, or spilling gut contents onto
the carcass when butchering.

In line with all the lovely "tasted my first vegetable/fruit"
posts...you haven't tasted a real egg (or mayonnaise, custard, lemon
curd etc) until you've tried it fresh from your own free range
grass-grazing chicken:-)

Janet.

Old 21-06-2003, 02:32 AM
shannie

"Coffea ramosa" wrote in message
Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and

manure
for my plants..

Why in the world would you think your chickens would automatically have
salmonella??...If you manage your chucks well, keep their area clean, look
after your eggs properly, ie, discard cracked/broken ones and in keeping
your henhouse clean not allowing the eggs to get mucky there's little
liklihood in you having salmonella problems. Your chicken manure can be put
on your compost heap along with any wood shavings or straw you use as
bedding and your eggshells can be crushed and added to your heap also. It's
not usually recommended that you use the manure fresh as it will likely do
more harm than good being so high in nutrients as to damage tender roots
etc.
If you have areas dug over your waiting to sow the chucks will clear out
beasties for you too! Mine love to eat ants, wireworms, slugs.....

If you've got the room, time and inclination I'd say go for it. Once they
start laying you'll never eat shop bought eggs again

Shan

Old 23-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Nick Apostolakis

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, shannie wrote:

"Coffea ramosa" wrote in message
Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and

manure
for my plants..

the chicken manure is not considered to be a good manure for plants.
it has high concentration of metal ions an they may cause toxicity in
some plants.

Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos

Old 23-06-2003, 09:44 PM
martin

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 21:44:22 +0300, Nick Apostolakis
wrote:

On Sat, 21 Jun 2003, shannie wrote:

"Coffea ramosa" wrote in message
Hi,

Would manure from chickens with salmonella have any effect on the plants?

I'm considering getting my own chickens for fresh eggs, enjoyment and

manure
for my plants..

the chicken manure is not considered to be a good manure for plants.
it has high concentration of metal ions an they may cause toxicity in
some plants.

but is some times marketed as a cure for baldness
--
martin
Old 24-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Nick Apostolakis

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, martin wrote:

but is some times marketed as a cure for baldness
--
martin

hehe i wouldn't know that but i dont need it anyway

Old 25-06-2003, 08:30 PM
Nick Apostolakis

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003, martin wrote:

but is some times marketed as a cure for baldness
--
martin

hehe i wouldn't know that but i dont need it anyway

Nick Apostolakis
e-mail:
Web Site:
http://agriroot.aua.gr/~nickapos

Subject: Pigeon Manure, Chicken Manure JacKUzi Gardening 0 11-08-2004 02:28 AM
chicken manure Tim Challenger United Kingdom 42 26-05-2004 11:15 PM
Old chicken manure Rhiannon Macfie Miller United Kingdom 4 09-05-2004 04:02 AM
Chicken Manure. Is it safe? [email protected] United Kingdom 22 07-04-2003 10:32 PM
Chicken manure! Steve Jackson United Kingdom 0 20-10-2002 08:56 AM