Old 20-06-2003, 10:44 AM
Colin Davidson

Default New Allotment, WOOHOO! Now what?

I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into the
ground in the next month or two?

Cheers,

Colin.

Old 20-06-2003, 10:57 AM
Tim

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003 10:48:27 +0100, Colin Davidson
wrote:

I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our
little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I
can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in
autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into
the
ground in the next month or two?

Cheers,

Colin.

You should be able to get some peas in. How about some winter crops like
brussels, or leeks? I think it's too late for parsnips.
Why not try a rhubabrb plant? It'll take a couple of years to mature, so
the earlier the better. Some rasbperries etc. for next year?
Coriander, if you're into oriental/indian food. Tim.
Old 20-06-2003, 11:44 AM
Kay Easton

In article , Colin Davidson
writes
I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into the
ground in the next month or two?

The various japanese greens which like to be planted late, winter
radishes, if the soil is damp - later summer radishes, swiss chard.

Look out at nurseries and 'summer fayres' for seedlings - eg french
beans, courgettes, runner beans.

Herbs grown for their leaves - though they're things you'd probably
prefer to grow in the garden so they're handy for the kitchen.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
Old 20-06-2003, 12:08 PM
Jim W

Colin Davidson wrote:

I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into the
ground in the next month or two?

Cheers,

Colin.

If you can get a few metres 'Blanket Mulched' and then get a bag of
compost in then its not too late to do some 'clearing crops' such as
pumkin, tomatoes, mebbe even some 'early' corn and peas. (Early just
means they crop quicker, and you could try an early spud or 2 if you can
find some late seed. With the pumkins you can sow direct, with the rest
try and pick up some late plants.

As others have mentioned think now about fruit for next year, rhubarb,
cane & bush fruits (Rasp.Jos, Goos, Logan, Black) and perrenial
vegetables. A lot of these are btter of waiting till the dormant season
however. If you like swede then the next few months is a goodd time to
sow IF you can water them regularly.

And of course the usual stuff such as herbs, pollinator and predator
attractants and cover crops etc can all be sown freely, esp the annual
ones.

See also the New Allotment FAQ which loiters on the web somewhere.. The
links are posted here on a regular basis
//
Jim
Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 PM
The Devil's Advocate

Winter cabbages, curly greens, purple sprouting, leeks, white turnip

--
praise the lord and pass the ammunition
:

Old 20-06-2003, 07:32 PM
welshuser

"Colin Davidson" wrote in message
I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our

little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in

autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into

the
ground in the next month or two?

Cheers,

Colin.

I've some nice swedes in, should be okay hopefully...lol, also winter

broad beans (plant in Oct/November)...

Old 23-06-2003, 12:56 PM
Chris Norton

wrote:

I'm seeing a man about an allotment this evening.

I'm really looking forward to having more space than I've got in our little
garden to grow food in. But it's a bit late in the season. Obviously I can
plant some later cropping carrots, some green salad veg that crop in autumn,
I can probably squeeze in some late beans, but what else can I get into the
ground in the next month or two?

Cheers,

Colin.

Well it all depends on what kind of state your going to get it in!
Ours was overgrown and all I could do is spray the thing, wait till it
all died off. Start digging and clearing. Hardly anything has been put
in this year.

HOWEVER, there are lots of stuff you can put in. Some winter onions,
leeks. Sprouting broccoli. Just get a seed cat and have a good
rummage.

What you can do is start getting things prepared for it next year in
the term of infrastructure. Unless your really lucky and have a ready
made shed there then there`s one thing you can get made. Also, the old
compost heap can get going too with all that clearing up.

Hard work but good fun. And I really hope you get yours all nicely dug
over ready to go.
Old 23-06-2003, 01:08 PM
Colin Davidson

"Chris Norton" wrote in message
(cut)
Hard work but good fun. And I really hope you get yours all nicely dug
over ready to go.

Cheers (to everyone who has made so many suggestions). I'll take all of that
on board and let the NG know how I'm getting on.

New Allotment & New Gardener John Nash Edible Gardening 2 01-06-2004 02:07 AM
allotment weddings, now jane United Kingdom 7 09-02-2004 11:45 AM
Woohoo! Storm! paghat Gardening 10 19-10-2003 02:22 PM
Woohoo! Storm! No water! Dwight Sipler Gardening 1 17-10-2003 08:12 PM
Woohoo! my first bugs! DigitalVinyl Gardening 2 18-06-2003 10:44 PM