Old 20-06-2003, 07:44 PM
vsop

Default Aquilegia Seed

I am growing Aquilegia McKenna Hybrids, sown last year and blooming for the
first time. There is one particular favourite colourway which we would like
to save seeds, but can anyone advise whether they would come true to the
parent ?
Its not described as an F1 hybrid in any seed catalogues we have consulted.
We believe this is an old variety so perhaps someone has experience with
self-sown seedlings or saved seed.
Best Regards
SKO

---

Old 20-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Barry & Iris McCanna

"vsop" wrote in message
I am growing Aquilegia McKenna Hybrids, sown last year and blooming

for the
first time. There is one particular favourite colourway which we

would like
to save seeds, but can anyone advise whether they would come true to

the
parent ?
Its not described as an F1 hybrid in any seed catalogues we have

consulted.
We believe this is an old variety so perhaps someone has experience

with
self-sown seedlings or saved seed.
Best Regards
SKO

Aquilegia McKana hybrids do not come true from seed, but they do self
seed and you will discover some very interesting colour combinations.
Also save some of the seeds and sow them yourself. You stand a chance
of something similar, but also the excitement of something new.

Iris McCanna

Old 20-06-2003, 09:56 PM
Jim W

Barry & Iris McCanna wrote:

"vsop" wrote in message
[...]

I've grown these before.. as they state they are hybrids.. seed saved
from a mixture of parents, (as opposed to F1 hybrids which come from
only 2 identified parents) saving frely from seed they tend to revert
back to blues over time (in my experience) however if you wish to select
certain colours the best way to do it would be to cross breed 2
specimens of that type in isolation.. That means excluding ALL natural
pollinators through the mid and final stages of infloresence, and
pollinating by hand.. Growing under a mesh cloche or mesh bagging
individiual flower heads would be fine.. However if my plants are
anything to go by its probably a bit late for this.. Maybe save to try
for next year?
//
Jim
Old 21-06-2003, 11:56 AM
IntarsiaCo

can anyone advise whether they would come true to the
parent ?

They won't. Grow as many from the seed as you can manage and select the color
forms that you want. You also can simply divide your favorite plant.
Old 21-06-2003, 02:44 PM
IntarsiaCo

My impression is that Aquilegias don't like being transplanted past a
certain age and that they therefore don't take kindly to being divided.
I think the chances are you'd end up with two dead plants - but I'm
quite prepared to be proved wrong!

Works for me 70-80% of the time. I divide in early September when the weather
cools down here.