Old 21-06-2003, 09:44 PM
Joe B.

Default Non-dwarf pelargoniums fit on windowsill?

I'm attempting to raise a number of pelargoniums (bought as rooted cuttings)
that will grow into plants of various sizes. These are all zonal, either
classed as "dwarf" or - not classed as dwarf and which I assume will be a
"normal" size, although I've avoided anything described as "large". Is it
going to be feasible to grow some of the non-dwarf pelargoniums indoors and
have manageable plants that will live on a windowsill? The window cavities in
question are 11" deep. In case anyone knows these, the non-dwarf plants I've
ordered or already got growing are Lass O'Gowrie, Dolly Varden, Pink Dolly
Varden, and Warrenorth Coral, all fancy-leaved zonals but none described
anywhere as dwarf, although Dolly Varden is described as "a good compact
grower". I can see that it many people try to get the plants to grow in a
very bushy shape with lots of flower heads, and this way even the dwarf
pelargoniums can bulge outwards quite a lot. I'm hoping that with a slightly
more relaxed shoot-stopping routine I can get plants that grow upwards more
than outwards and will still fit into the window cavity. But if this is
unlikely to be successful due to such plants outgrowing such a space I'd like
to know sooner rather than later and I can replace them with dwarfer options.
My rationale for buying any non-dwarf plants for this purpose is that on the
Vernon's web site where they list the fancy-leaved varieties, they say "BEST
FOR: Displaying in beds, tubs and in the conservatory, greenhouse or
windowsill." I'm wondering how realistic this windowill option is. Any info
appreciated!

--
Joe B.