Old 21-06-2003, 11:08 PM
Janice

Default Strawberry Cultivating

Can strawberries (in a growbag) be grown in a greenhouse or should they be
grown outside?

Thanks.

Old 22-06-2003, 09:42 AM
Jeanne Stockdale

We are growing strawberries in growbags in our glasshouse and have had a
successful crop this year. The main things to remember are (1) the crop
ripens earlier; (2) the growbags will need nourishment after the first
year - which we achieved with chicken manure during the early spring and
then occasional feeding with Tomorite (3) need to water daily - or use a
drip water system.

We had our first batch of strawberry plants in growbags last year; we have
added a second batch this year in open trays and actually think the growbag
system is better - the strawberries are cleaner.

We did find however that after the first flush of good sized strawberries,
that the later ones were rather small - we have assumed this was due to the
extremely hot weather we were experiencing (100 deg plus in glasshouse!!!).

We now have something like 400 plants and our aim is to sell the
strawberries to the canal boats passing our house. I do feel however that we
would do better if the crop were a little bit later. Anyone got any ideas on
how to slow things down a bit?

Jeanne Stockdale

"Janice" wrote in message
news
Can strawberries (in a growbag) be grown in a greenhouse or should they be
grown outside?

Thanks.

Cultivating plants Scott Freshwater Aquaria Plants 1 27-05-2005 03:37 AM
"Cultivating wisdom" Mike Gardening 0 19-04-2004 03:04 PM
OT Cultivating an ethical flower trade BBC story stuart henry Orchids 0 14-03-2004 01:17 PM
OT Cultivating an ethical flower trade BBC story stuart henry Orchids 0 14-03-2004 01:15 PM
cultivating amazon swords Kate Quirk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 20-04-2003 07:09 AM