GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Holly berries - dead (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/33533-holly-berries-dead.html)

Lynda Thornton 22-06-2003 05:37 PM

Holly berries - dead

Hi

I have a small (3ft high-ish) holly bush which I bought last year with
berries on (can't remember the type but it's self-fertile). The berries
stayed on until just before Christmas when they all disappeared!
Anyway, this year there has been new growth, flowers and green berries
all seeming fine but in the last week or so I've noticed that most of
the berries seem to have withered and died - what would be the reason
for this and does this mean a berryless tree all winter?

Any holly experts out there?
--
Lynda Thornton

Annabel 22-06-2003 05:56 PM

Holly berries - dead

"Lynda Thornton" wrote in message
Hi

I have a small (3ft high-ish) holly bush which I bought last year with
berries on (can't remember the type but it's self-fertile). The

berries
stayed on until just before Christmas when they all disappeared!
Anyway, this year there has been new growth, flowers and green berries
all seeming fine but in the last week or so I've noticed that most of
the berries seem to have withered and died - what would be the reason
for this and does this mean a berryless tree all winter?

Any holly experts out there?
--
Lynda Thornton

Holly trees are male or female, you have a female but there must be a
male nearby to pollinate your female in order to get berries. I think
this could be your problem.

Bel

Lynda Thornton 22-06-2003 07:53 PM

Holly berries - dead

Hi

As far as I was aware it was self-fertile, which means it shouldn't need
another tree, and anyway, the berries were already growing, surely
that's past the stage of fertilisation anyway?

Lynda

In article , Annabel
writes